Server 2008 R2 Bootable usb for UEFI can't start recovery option.
I'm testing a backup from a Windows Server 2008 R2, the testing is on a other machine than where it's backuped from. Both are IBM servers with UEFI. The first problem i ran into was that the installation didn't start in UEFI and because the installation on de backuped machine is running on UEFI it can't bare metal recover on legacy. I've updated al the firmware on the testing machine and that didn't do the trick. After some google-ing on the subject i found out that i needed to change somethings on the bootable usb. 1. It needed to be formated with FAT32 and not NTFS. 2. The folder <usb>:\efi\microsoft\boot should be moved so it would be at <usb>:\efi\boot 3. You copy from an installed machine the C:\Windows\Boot\EFI\bootmgfw.efi file to the <usb>:\efi\boot folder on the usb. And rename it to bootx64.efi If i select the usb in the bootmenu it boots into legacy mode, so you must go into the BIOS and select boot from file than i selected the <usb>:\efi\boot\bootx64.efi and it booted into EFI mode. Now i was able to start it and where able to go install. But not to recover a server. So after booting up for the usb you get to the point of selecting Install and there also the option for recovery. when I klicked on the option for recovery I get this error. This version of the System Recovery Option is not compatible with the version of Windows you are trying to repair. Try using a recovery disc that is compatible with this version of Windows. Does someone know a solution to my problem?
June 21st, 2011 3:09am

I solved the problem. I needed to delete all partitions first and make a new one, windows automaticly creates the right system partitioins. (I created them by using the parition creater from the windows installer)
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 21st, 2011 4:07am

Thanks for this information. I was looking around for awhile on how to setup Server 2008R2 with UEFI from USB. Your post is the only one I saw that mentioned it needed to be FAT32. The bootmgfw.efi thing was also new. But on your point #2, I couldn't move that folder, I had to make a copy of it so it was in both places. Then it went like a charm!
March 25th, 2012 7:47pm

All I had to do was 1) use FAT32, 2) put bootmgfw.efi on the USB (anywhere), 3) select UEFI "Add Boot Method" (i.e. Boot From File) and point it to bootmgfw.efi Thanks guys for the wonderful solution!
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
October 8th, 2012 11:06pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics