Server 2008 R2 180 day Trial to Full
Greetings, Would anyone know if the Server 2008 R2 Standard 180 day evaluation trial version, available at http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2008/en/us/trial-software.aspx can be converted into a fully licensed version at a later stage, without having to reformat and reinstall? I see that this question has already been asked, but I thought I would ask again as the software is no longer in beta. I would like to try Server 2008 R2 and have been thinking about downloading the trial version. Is this version strictly a demo only edition that expires after the 180 days activation period regardless, or can this trial version be converted to the full version at a later stage using a purchased key? I sincerely appreciate any advice you can offer. Many thanks, Shane.
September 1st, 2009 12:49pm

Hello,open the system properties and scroll down to change product key, fill in your license key and activate.Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 1st, 2009 1:28pm

Hello, open the system properties and scroll down to change product key, fill in your license key and activate. Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Many thanks for your prompt reply, Shane.
September 1st, 2009 1:31pm

Does it matter what type of license you use to activate? I want to know if a Volume License key will work. I have 2 servers running 180 day eval of 2008 standard. One of them is running SQL Server 2008 R2 Standard Eval and the other is running Remote Desktop Services Eval. The plan is to purchase Windows SBS 2008 Premium with CALS and RDS licenses for all users. Premium comes with a key for a 2008 Standard windows install, and a key for SQL 2008 for Small Business. So essentially, buying SBS 2008 Premium gives you a key for one of the servers, but we still need to get a separate key for the other 2008 standard server. Will all of this work without having to reinstall anything? If so, please tell me if Volume Licensing will work. I have contact Microsoft multiple times and have given up, they do not understand what my questions are. Please help!! Thank you
April 21st, 2011 9:42pm

Hello Compsys, It's not clear what OS you have installed and what keys you have. You mention both Windows Server 2008 and Server 2008 R2. There is also a reference to Standard and a reference to Enterprise. There are differences between how the Eval works between Windows Server 2008 and Windows Server 2008 R2. You cannot change a key from 2008 installation to a 2008 R2 key. CHanges between editions may also be The Windows Server 2008 R2 Evaluation version contains a timer that is not removed if you change the product key, so it is not supported to change the key from an evaluation installation to another key type.Thanks, Darrell Gorter [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. VAMT - Volume Activation Management Tool - Download link http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=ec7156d2-2864-49ee-bfcb-777b898ad582&displaylang=en
April 21st, 2011 11:08pm

Hi Darrell, Currently, there are two servers running Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard Evaluation 180 day. The first server is running SQL Server 2008 R2 Standard, the other running as a Terminal Server with RDS. We will be upgrading the SBS 2003 box to SBS 2011 Premium not 2008, sorry. The licenses were to be purchased via Open Value, but I'm unsure if these current Eval installations will convert to Full Versions with just entering a purchased key, and if they can convert to Full, what type of channel is required e.g. Retail, VL? The 2011 Premium comes with a key for 2008 r2 standard and SQL 2008 R2 Standard. I hope I made it a bit clearer to help make better sense of what I'm working with. Your help is much appreciated.
April 22nd, 2011 6:18am

Hello Comsys, Changing the product key from the evaluation install to a released channel like Retail or Volume does not remove the timer that is present in the eval edition, this means there are potentially circumstances that could cause the machine to go into a an expired state since it is evaluation media. Because that timer is still present, it is not supported to convert from Eval to released product. the recomendation is to rebuild the server with the correct product key. Thanks, Darrell Gorter [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. VAMT - Volume Activation Management Tool - Download link http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=ec7156d2-2864-49ee-bfcb-777b898ad582&displaylang=en
April 23rd, 2011 8:13pm

Hi Darrell, I understand the issue with the built in timer on the evaluation media, I will research to see if there is a way of stripping that away from the OS some how. However, I do need to know if either Retail or Volume channel licenses will be accepted by these current installs and activate? If so, which of the two channels? I don't want to end up buying Volume Licenses for all of this media, only to find myself being haulted by the software stating things such as Invalid License, etc... Thanks
April 25th, 2011 5:17am

Hello, Yes the keys will be accepted and activate for either Retail or Volume, however the timer still exists in the OS and attempts to remove could result in tamper states. It is not supported to convert Windows Server 2008 R2 Eval media to Retail or Volume, since there are circumstances where the timer code could expire and you would then have to rebuild. For production machines, the answer is to rebuild before putting into production.Thanks, Darrell Gorter [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. VAMT - Volume Activation Management Tool - Download link http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=ec7156d2-2864-49ee-bfcb-777b898ad582&displaylang=en
April 25th, 2011 7:44pm

Thank you, I will just avoid any issues and rebuild the servers. I really appreciate your time and effor in answering my questions.
April 26th, 2011 2:59am

Hi, About the Eval. Version: - If i downloaded the Eval version and applied the Lic i bought during installing Steps, would that work and there will be no Expire Time(The 180 Days)? - Is the version I bought can be identified from the Serial/Keys I bought? - The Lic i bought will last for Ever or I will have to buy/Renew Lic Every Year? Regards,
May 23rd, 2011 2:32pm

Hello, There is no upport for converting an Eval version to a released version. The eval timer code remains in the eval version so you need to clean install to use a released versionThanks, Darrell Gorter [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. VAMT - Volume Activation Management Tool - Download link http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=ec7156d2-2864-49ee-bfcb-777b898ad582&displaylang=en
May 23rd, 2011 8:09pm

Thanks, But still, My question is: I didnt install Eval Version. While still on the steps when It asks for Lic. I apply the lic I have. Can that work and wont have Val Version? if No, is there any Place I can Download Specific Version of SQL Server then I apply my Lic. Rather than Uploading the Files? Best Regards,
May 24th, 2011 9:30am

Hello Al-Waqfi, Not sure I understand the scenario, your first post states you downloaded the eval version and installed a product key, which means you have eval and that cannot be converted You second post states you do not have eval, if you did not start with eval media, there isn't an issue Then you mention SQL server, I am only commenting on Windows, not SQL, I am not familiar with SQL eval behaviorThanks, Darrell Gorter [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. VAMT - Volume Activation Management Tool - Download link http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=ec7156d2-2864-49ee-bfcb-777b898ad582&displaylang=en
May 24th, 2011 8:08pm

What is the SQL server you have, You can apply your key to full functioning 180 day evaluation media on SQL server 2008 while installing,
July 21st, 2011 2:16pm

Looks like it may be possible to do but is unsupported. The time bomb timer could reappear at any time. Windows Server 2008 R2 evaluation version http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2021579 For sharpoint migration I'd ask them here. http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/category/sharepoint/ Regards, Dave Patrick .... Microsoft Certified Professional Microsoft MVP [Windows]
February 1st, 2012 1:53pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics