Server 2008 R2 - Metafile (as seen from sysinternals RAMMap) increases Memory usage Rapidly
We are seeing a 2008 R2 server running increase its Metafile usage (as indicated via RAMMAP) rapidly from around 1 GB to 8Gb. Is there a way to break down this usage so that it is possible to see what is causing this RAM increase? What are the likely causes for this increase? Thanks
April 7th, 2011 5:36am

Hi, Can you verify which process takes the high memory usage in Task Manager? Please test the issue in Clean Boot to narrow down the cause. For the detailed steps, please refer to the following Microsoft KB article: How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista or in Windows 7 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135 If the issue persists, would you please send me more information for analyzing. For your convenience, I have created a workspace for you. You can upload the information files to the following link. (Please choose "Send Files to Microsoft") Workspace URL: https://sftasia.one.microsoft.com/choosetransfer.aspx?key=42940812-ceda-4389-a383-0857c98f9141 Password: +38IhqfSjHkq)[2U Note: Due to differences in text formatting with various email clients, the workspace link above may appear to be broken. Please be sure to include all text between '(' and ')' when typing or copying the workspace link into your browser. Meanwhile, please note that files uploaded for more than 72 hours will be deleted automatically. Please ensure to notify me timely after you have uploaded the files. Thank you for your understanding. Collect Process Explorer log =================== 1. Please download the Process Explorer from the following link: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/ProcessesAndThreads/ProcessExplorer.mspx 2. Extract the zip file and double click the procexp.exe file. 3. Open Internet Explorer, browse Web pages, and then please highlight the Process Name such as iexplore.exe line in Process Explorer. 4. From the View menu, please point to "Lower Pane view" and select DLLs. 5. From the File menu, please select Save to save the dll list to a txt file such as IEDll.txt. Regards,Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 8th, 2011 2:40am

zoics, did you find what was causing your issue? I have a WS08R2 that has this same issue. The server is running Hyland Onbase which basically has tons of image files that our users search in IE. If we reboot the server the metafile memory usage goes away; but over time it grows and grows; currently its around 9 of the 12GB the server has. We start having performance issues when it grows to this size. It makes sense that windows is caching the metadata for the files accessed but i need to determine if this is a windows issue or an application issue. Thanks in advance for any help!
May 11th, 2011 11:34am

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowsserver2008r2general/thread/74c2c9ca-f8c1-4c37-bc8c-cd074ce0c6cd
October 20th, 2011 3:21pm

Hi, we have the same issue. The link you have posted only discusses the issue, but offers no solutions. Our server, 2008 R2 STD SP1 with all patches up to date, eats up all RAM nightly as a result of TSM backup agent. As indicated by RAMMap Metafile Standby cache grows to almost 8GB, physical RAM size on our physical server. At this point the server becomes very slow and barely usable. We have noticed that resetting NIC clears all this cache. Unfortunately, this is not a permanent solution. Also, during the course of a day, large amount of relatively small files is either copied to or retrieved from this file server by Windows 7 client PCs. This causes Mapped File Standby cache to grow and eat up all FREE memory as listed by Performance monitor. This makes the server unusable too. The same trick with resetting NIC solves the problem. The server has the latest HP Support Pack and firmware installed. Does anyone have a solution to this issue?
November 3rd, 2011 7:43pm

We also have a server with Hyland Onbase and I am running into the high Metafile usage as well as high Driver Locked memory usage. I believe the Driver Locked memory usage has something to do with the VM Tools installed on this server. But I am wondering if you ever came to a solution with the high Metafile usage? Thanks for your help.
December 28th, 2011 10:58am

Has anyone managed to resolve these issues yet? We are having a similar problem. We have a file server that contains somewhere in the region of 6 million files spread across 600k folders and when the full backup runs, you can watch the memory usage go up and up until eventually it just trips up and the process terminates and the backup fails. Is this more likely going to be resolved by throwing more memory at the problem, or will this problem still persist? Currently this is a Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard edition with SP1 installed and it has 12GB of RAM.
February 29th, 2012 5:07am

I am having the same problem with TSM on Server 2008 R2 doing an image backup. There might be a fix from Microsoft, but it looks like you have to open a support case (which is TOTALLY bunk). They CLAIM the issue was fixed in Server 2008 R2, but we all know that is not true... There is an article on it: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976618/en-us Which points you to the download for the Microsoft Windows Dynamic Cache Service: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=9258 Problem is, it will not work on Server 2008 R2. The article directs people with R2 to open a case. I used the RAMMap utiliy from Sysinternals to clear it out, but that is a manual process...
September 19th, 2012 2:12pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics