Server 2008 R2 - Best Practices Error
I am getting the following Best Practices error on my 2008 R2 server. I have added the loopback address to the config as stated and even rebooted the server, yet the error persists. Thoughts? Issue: The network adapter Local Area Connection does not list the loopback IP address as a DNS server, or it is configured as the first entry. Impact: If the loopback IP address is the first entry in the list of DNS servers, Active Directory might be unable to find its replication partners. Resolution: Configure adapter settings to add the loopback IP address to the list of DNS servers on all active interfaces, but not as the first server in the list.
November 24th, 2010 4:36pm

Windows server 2008 R2, best practices analyzer is returning the error below. I have followed the suggested resolution, yet the error persists. Thoughts? DNS: DNS servers on <adapter name> should include the loopback address, but not as the first entry Issue: The network adapter Local Area Connection does not list the loopback IP address as a DNS server, or it is configured as the first entry. Impact: If the loopback IP address is the first entry in the list of DNS servers, Active Directory might be unable to find its replication partners. Resolution: Configure adapter settings to add the loopback IP address to the list of DNS servers on all active interfaces, but not as the first server in the list. Link to resolution - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff807362(WS.10).aspx
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
November 24th, 2010 4:58pm

I always thought this was a bad practice to use 127.0.0.1 Better to use server's actual IP address. If you only have one domain controller then there's no choice and the DNS server's actual IP address goes in as primary. Regards, Dave Patrick .... Microsoft Certified Professional -Microsoft MVP [Windows]
November 24th, 2010 11:37pm

Hi, Thanks for update. If you had followed the recommendation form BPA result to add the loop back address to DNS Sever list on your host and the name resolution is working correctly , then I belive you may safely ignore it . Thanks. Tiger Li Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
November 25th, 2010 3:14am

I always thought this was a bad practice to use 127.0.0.1 Better to use server's actual IP address. If you only have one domain controller then there's no choice and the DNS server's actual IP address goes in as primary. Regards, Dave Patrick .... Microsoft Certified Professional -Microsoft MVP [Windows] Hello Patrick, thought the same after realizying the outcome from the BPA and had already a small mail talk to Ace Fekay about it. He has the same opinion about it as you and me. If DNS is configured correct with the real ip addresses of the DNS server itself, it should be fine and the BPA should accept this as a valid configuration. Maybe someone from our MSFT people can give some more information about this recommendation of the loopback ip.Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
November 25th, 2010 5:41am

I'm also seeing this message and have tried configuring the second DNS server as either the loopback or the actual assigned IP of the local server but the error still shows up in the BPA. I think BPA is really handy but this sort of behaviour lets down an otherwise great feature. Why do a DNS config check if the check itself isn't configured properly!! I hope Microsoft can address this soon!
December 15th, 2010 8:22pm

I know this post is a little old but I just came across the same thing. I was running the BPA and kept getting athe same message, and had done the same things. Now just by chance I was also having root hint issues, and when into the IPV6 settings I found "Use the following DNS server addresses:" "Prefered DNS server:" ::1 Which turns out to be localhost for IPV6. After changing it to "Obtain DNS server address automatically" and rerunning the BPA it passed with no issues. Hope that helps. Cheers, Mike
June 13th, 2011 11:39pm

I keep getting the same error but I am stumped at the question of which DNS server IP address should be entered OTHER than 127.0.0.1 ( or the actual ip address of the NIC) All posts and KBs talk about 127.0.0.1 not being the first in the list but what DNS server IP address should be first if there is only one DNS server in the network?
June 17th, 2011 9:33am

If you only have one then there's no choice and the DNS server's actual IP address goes in as primary. Regards, Dave Patrick .... Microsoft Certified Professional Microsoft MVP [Windows]
June 18th, 2011 5:18pm

Hello, either the real ip address of the machine itself and then loopback or you use another DNS server of the domain and then itself.Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
June 19th, 2011 5:53am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics