Server 2008 R2- Cloning a Dynamic Boot Partition?
Hey All, So I am trying to clone (and then extend) the main HDD on a server which is Dynamic and is in a software mirror to another larger blank drive. But no matter what I use, Acronis, Paragon, I even tried an old copy of Symantec Ghost, but none can clone the source drive because it is Dynamic. Is there anyway to clone a dynamic disk with the system partition on it to a larger HDD and then extend it in this way? Also....to try an work around this, I put another blank HDD in the server and then re-set up the mirror to the new large drive, then I tried to remove the original HDD, and boot to the new large secondary mirrored drive. But I cannot. So I figured I would just do a fix boot off of the Windows Server 2008 R2 DVD but for some reason I simply cannot boot off of the DVD in order to run the fix boot. I just get a gray screen with no dialog boxes when I try to boot off to the DVD. Thinking the DVD (or drive itself) was bad I tried another with the same results, and then tried mounting the ISO via HP's ILO but no luck. Ironically a Windows 2008 non-R2 DVD works fine. My hunch is the R2 DVD is getting hung up on a driver. What would your recommended course of action be in order for me to move all the data to a new drive and then extended the system partition to take advantage of the free space? Thanks for all your help in advance!
October 16th, 2012 11:42am

I found Acronis True Image Workstation and Acronis True Image Server support the clone of dynamic disks. You may want to give it a try http://kb.acronis.com/content/1568 Thanks Zhang
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
October 17th, 2012 1:00am

Just wanted to update everyone with what I did to solve this issue. Essentially I used Paragon to covert the dynamic disk back to basic, then cloned to the new drive, took the original source drive out of the machine, then extended the system partition to take advantage of all the free space on the new drive. Then added a new drive and rebuilt the mirror. I was nervous about converting it to basic, but it worked quickly and like a charm.
October 17th, 2012 9:51am

Try a software that called Dynamic Disk Converter, http://www.dynamic-disk-converter.com/ they have a demo version that could help you verify whether it could do that.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
November 13th, 2012 3:09am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics