Server 2008 Problems with event log service - SOLVED
Hello, I have the following problems with a 2008 server, whose maintenance I inherited. The server is a domain controller. The DNS will not install. Tried changing the ports to 2000 but no. The event log service will not start (error 5). Tried priviledges of both the \Log and registry to no avail. Deleted the .evtx With no event viewer I cant tell what the dns problem is and with no event log service I cant run shadow copy to protect the data before I make any really bad moves. Any ideas? Thnk you ***************** UPDATE Using process monitor I found that the access denied error comes when svchost.exe tries to access "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\eventlog" I checked the permissions of this key ans added "local computer .... NT Service\EventLog" with full control. IT WORKED.
June 19th, 2012 4:48am

Hi, Please check the following thread and see any of the suggestions given in the discussion helps you in fixing event viewer issue event viewer cannot open the event log or custom view. verify that event log service is running or query is too long the event log file is corrupted 1500 http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winservergen/thread/33fb7880-5e3d-491e-afc9-02fbd0686870/Press any key... What the ... Where's any key ? This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights. About Me ?
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 19th, 2012 5:08am

Hi, Please check the following thread and see any of the suggestions given in the discussion helps you in fixing event viewer issue event viewer cannot open the event log or custom view. verify that event log service is running or query is too long the event log file is corrupted 1500 http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winservergen/thread/33fb7880-5e3d-491e-afc9-02fbd0686870/Press any key... What the ... Where's any key ? This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights. About Me ?
June 19th, 2012 5:08am

Hello, Seems your Issue is close to this thread. I suggest you have a look and troubleshoot accordingly. http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winservergen/thread/33fb7880-5e3d-491e-afc9-02fbd0686870/ Regards, Ravikumar P
June 19th, 2012 5:09am

Hello, Seems your Issue is close to this thread. I suggest you have a look and troubleshoot accordingly. http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winservergen/thread/33fb7880-5e3d-491e-afc9-02fbd0686870/ Regards, Ravikumar P
June 19th, 2012 5:09am

Hi Yiannis, Is this the only Domain Controller you have. If yes, then without DNS how your AD is functioning. If you have other Domain Controllers, then I would suggest depromote this DC, reinstall the OS and then make it again a DC.Thanks and Regards, Mukesh. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights. Please VOTE as HELPFUL if the post helps you and remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
June 19th, 2012 5:10am

Hi Yiannis, Is this the only Domain Controller you have. If yes, then without DNS how your AD is functioning. If you have other Domain Controllers, then I would suggest depromote this DC, reinstall the OS and then make it again a DC.Thanks and Regards, Mukesh. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights. Please VOTE as HELPFUL if the post helps you and remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
June 19th, 2012 5:10am

Hello, Yes this is the only domain controller and of course Im having tremendous problems with AD since I cant install DNS. I dont know why I cant install DNS because the event viewer is not working. This is because the eventlog service will not start with Error 5 access denied and no amount of registry this and permissions that seems to fix it. Unfortunately I cant demote the server because Im afraid that all domain profiles will be lost. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
June 19th, 2012 6:37am

Hello, Yes this is the only domain controller and of course Im having tremendous problems with AD since I cant install DNS. I dont know why I cant install DNS because the event viewer is not working. This is because the eventlog service will not start with Error 5 access denied and no amount of registry this and permissions that seems to fix it. Unfortunately I cant demote the server because Im afraid that all domain profiles will be lost. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
June 19th, 2012 6:37am

Thank you for your time but this does not apply to my problem (my fault for not being specific) which is access denied error 5.
June 19th, 2012 6:39am

Thank you for your time but this does not apply to my problem (my fault for not being specific) which is access denied error 5.
June 19th, 2012 6:39am

Thank you for your time but this does not apply to my problem (my fault for not being specific) which is access denied error 5. Following might help ! Windows could not start the Windows Event Log service on Local Compurter. Error 5: Access is denied. http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/8223.windows-could-not-start-the-windows-event-log-service-on-local-compurter-error-5-access-is-denied.aspxPress any key... What the ... Where's any key ? This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights. About Me ?
June 19th, 2012 7:01am

Nope. That didnt do it.
June 19th, 2012 8:37am

Nope. That didnt do it.
June 19th, 2012 8:48am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics