Server 2008 Print Management: Deploying printers via GPO

I have read that it is possible to deploy all printers to a single GPO from the Print Management Console and then have ACL determine printers actually installed per user. Each printer on my print server has an AD group controlling access to the printer. I have a test OU and have linked the single GPO with all of the printers to it. On login for test users one or two printers connect but the others do not, even though they have permissions. There are no errors logged in the event viewer. 

Do I have to configure preferences on the GPO or is it sufficient to deploy from the Print Management Console? What if anything could I be missing?

Thanks.

July 13th, 2013 9:40pm

There is no limitation as how many printers can be in one single GPO. But this always cause troubles in bandwidth traffic and overhead. I suggest follow the Microsoft best practice in deploying printers.

Best practices on deploying a Microsoft Windows Server 2008/Windows Server 2008 R2 Print Server
http://blogs.technet.com/b/yongrhee/archive/2009/09/14/best-practices-on-deploying-a-microsoft-windows-server-2008-windows-server-2008-r2-print-server.aspx

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 15th, 2013 4:48am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics