Server 2008 Limited Connectivity on startup
Server 2008 (all the latest patches etc). DC acting as secondary.When the server starts it starts with NIC (Dual on-board NICs) as "Limited connectivity".(Doesn't matter which NIC I configure, I get the same error after reboot.)I have one disabled, the other enabled with a static IP.Both NIC's are on-board.Both NIC's have the latest drivers from Intel.Using IPv4. (but have IPv6 enabled) When it's initially booted up, I can't even ping the gateway by IP. So I'm ruling out DNS. Even given that I'm ruling out DNS, I have done the following; Flushed DNS, run the usual nbtstat and netsh tools, cleared the DNS in the service, run scavange etc. Interestingly, if I run a "Reset the network adapter" option under Diagnose, it goes through it's routine and "Repairs" the connection and it works! What the **** is it doing that I'm not, and if I can't get it work on boot, at least if I know what it's doing I might be able to write a script to run after boot... Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! Dan
May 8th, 2012 9:32pm

What is the history? Has this ever worked? If this server is new I'd check that it has the latest firmware installed along with the manufacturer chipset and driver pack. Regards, Dave Patrick .... Microsoft Certified Professional Microsoft MVP [Windows] Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 8th, 2012 9:59pm

Yes it was working in the past but it's been a while and I don't know the answer to the obvious question of what changed. The server is about 3 years old roughly. Dan
May 9th, 2012 2:37pm

Can you post an unedited ipconfig /all of before and after "repair" ? Regards, Dave Patrick .... Microsoft Certified Professional Microsoft MVP [Windows] Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
May 9th, 2012 8:36pm

Hi, Do you have more than one NIC on this server? Have you configure the NIC teaming on this server? If not, please try to temporary disable TCP Chimney Offload to see if the issue still persists. If still no luck, please try to reset TCP/IP. Information about the TCP Chimney Offload, Receive Side Scaling, and Network Direct Memory Access features in Windows Server 2008 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/951037 How to reset Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299357 Best Regards, Aiden Aiden Cao TechNet Community Support
May 9th, 2012 10:56pm

awesome tips. I will try that and get back to you. Dan
May 13th, 2012 10:04pm

Thanks for the tips guys but the Chimney and TCIP/IP reset didn't work. I disabled Chimney, tested, didn't work.I reset TCP/IP, tested, didn't work.I enabled Chimney, tested, didn't work. So basically when I reboot, I have to run a diagnostic on the NIC, then choose "Repair..." and sure enough it "repairs" the connection and is then visible on the network. I also changed the NIC to DHCP to see if that would make any difference (while I diagnose the problem) but alas it did not. There is no teaming on the NIC's (dual NICs on motherboard). Any other tips would be greatly appreciated. I might try to install a NIC and see if I get the same issues but please if you have any other tips let me know. Cheers, DanDan
May 18th, 2012 1:53am

Update; I was able to by-pass the problem with installing a new NIC but all the things I tried would not work for the onboard NIC's. Strange I know, but I thought I would post my work around FYI... Thanks for the help. Dan
May 20th, 2012 4:23pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics