Server 2008 Internet issue
After getting in a company to install 2008 server in our school IT suite along with 16 other pc's, they have left after creating a domain betweenthe pc's and server. the pc's do have the internet.We have mapped drives so the children log on to their class and can then save their work to their class folder.However, the company has walked off of the job after admitting defeat in getting the internet available on the server running 2008 standard.I can ping websites,but cannot display a web page. I have turned off enhanced security for ie, this has made no difference.I cannot find a helpdesk able to work with server 2008.Any ideas guys?
September 5th, 2008 2:26pm

Hi!so, if i understanded right, when you try to use IE at the server itself, web-pages dont show. What is the error message?Could it be, that the outgoing HTTP request could be blocked at your companys firewall? How about the firewall settings at the server?If you open command promp and beside pinging do "telnet www.somedomain.com 80" will it give you somekind of error message? Henry Eklf :: Just one random IT-guy more.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 5th, 2008 5:16pm

Yes your right the web pages don't show. As far as an error message goes, I don't get one apart from the usual DNS error.I have been through the firewall settings and even turned it off altogether, made no difference.As an idea to thrown into the pot, when the server was initially connected, the internet popped straight up. But then, I understand, a DHCP component was installed from the Server 2008 disk, and we never got it back.I will try the telnet on Monday.Many Thanks.
September 5th, 2008 6:56pm

Is the server set up as a domain controller? How is your network connected to the Internet? Through a router/firewall? If you are not running a domain, each machine (including the server) should be using the router's IP address for both the gateway and DNS address. This probably happens automatically because the router will function as a DHCP server. If you are running an Active Directory domain, this will not work. All machines must use the domain controller for DNS so that Active Directory will run properly. You will need to change both the DHCP and DNS setup. Post back if this is yoursituation. Bill
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 6th, 2008 5:00am

The server is the domain controller for the IT suite, however it receives an internet connection from the main school which then goes to a router in the IT suite. The server controls the IP adresses for the client machines, but the only way that the IT company could get the internet up on the client machines was to issue them with the DNS adresses and proxy of the main school 2003 server.Could there be some sort of clash between the servers?
September 8th, 2008 6:57pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics