Server 2008 Hardware Acceleration
I recently installed Windows Server 2008. I have ATI Radeon X800. I installed the latest drivers for Vista from ATI's website (they don't have specific ones for Server 2008). However, when I go to display settings, and Troubleshooting and I want to increase my hardware acceleration to 'full', I see the following message: "Your current display driver does not allow changes to be made to hardware acceleration settings" I had no problems setting the hardware acceleration in the Troubleshooting tab on Windows Server 2003, and when I was using Vista on the same computer, everything was fine. How can I increase Hardware Acceleration to Full on Server 2008?
April 6th, 2008 7:50am

Hello, I suspect that the issue is caused by incompatible video card driver. When a new operating system is released, some third-party vendors or manufacturers will update their products to take full advantage of new features in the latest OS. If the driver is not compatible with the system, the device may not work properly or other unknown problems may occur in the system. Please note that because Windows Server 2008 has just been released in February, some manufacturersmay have not produced or have produced but have not published the device drivers for their products to work with Windows Server 2008. As It is hardware manufacturers' responsibility to provide device drivers, I would like to recommend you to contact the manufacturer of the video card device to see whether they have an updated Windows Server 2008 display driver available. Thanks. Regards, Neo Zhu -MSFT
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 8th, 2008 2:29pm

Why can't we force this on? ATI doesn't do server video cards but there's more than a few professionals and/or students with MSDNAA who prefer Server operating systems because of their preconfigured reliability/stability/optimization.
January 30th, 2009 8:48pm

Hi there,had the same problem.I've found a solution. Do the following:1. Open regedit (by typing in regedit in the search field in the start menu)2. Go to the following key:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Video3. within all folders LIKE {6055FC4B-81E9-428C-82AC-28EB17CA102F} ( yours might be slightly different ) open the 0000 folder until you see all Nvidia profiles ( keys like "_3DMark03.exe:D3DOGL_49119164", theres a lot of them).Once you've found this folder do not keep on searching.4. on the right side, scroll down until you can see the following key : Acceleration.Level5. Change its value from 4 to 0. (if there is any other value than 4, still change it to 0 )6. Close regedit, restart your computer7. That's it !! Have fun ! I wrote this solution for another guy with your problem with an nvidia card, maybe it will still work for you.So there will be no Nvidia profiles on your computer.Anyway the right 0000 folder for your graphics card should also contain a lot of keys.If there is no Acceleration.Level key then create it.
April 18th, 2009 8:52pm

It does appear the information errorkiller provided does fix the issue when using an ATI based graphics card.
June 8th, 2009 2:56pm

Hello, I've tried this with an GeForce Go 7150M, and Windows Server 2008 R2, and it did not work. I think it must be releated to the R2. Any ideas what could be done to active hardware acceleration in 2008 R2?
April 4th, 2010 6:38am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics