Server 2008 File Share transfer slow
Hello all, here is my problem, this isNOT the same Vista file copy slow.I have noticed when I transfer files to a share on my 2008 server the speed is between 20-35MB, but if I transfer a file to the admin share like C$ the transfer speed is 80-110MB. Why is there a difference and is there a way to get the share transfer speeds up to 80MB+? What am I missing?OK after some more research I see that if I create a share on C: I get the high transfer rates but a share on any other drive the speed is between 20-35MB. All of the drives are 15Krpm SAS drives, all connected to the SAS 6/iR controller. So why are my transfer speeds to C: so much faster than to the other drives if they are all the same?You help would be appreciated, thanks,Chrisj979
March 22nd, 2009 7:12am

hi there,File transfer between vista and windows 2008 uses smb 2.0 which is a new version of SMB protocol , apart from this any transaction of file transfer between widnows xp - windows 2008 , windows xp - vista, windows 2003 - windows 2008, windows 2003 - vista still falls back to smb 1.0 i would like to get the below results where is your C drive deployed , is it deployed on your SAS drive ?there are 2 major components involved in the communication , your SAS file driver which has to understand the SMB protocol, so i would say a) check for the update for SAS driver b) try copying data from local system to itself where in there is no network invovled to check if there is sam behavior c) check with vista to windows 2008 -- compare the speed with windows 2008 - winodws 2008make sure any file transfe from SAS driver to or from SAS drives are slow , if then you can contact vendor or else try pasting the ethereal traces for analysis.sainath Windows Driver Development
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
March 23rd, 2009 6:47am

Please see this link below.http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winservergen/thread/8fa56a91-59ea-4f81-a04a-d96ea3f66e37/Syed Khairuddin
March 23rd, 2009 2:40pm

OK, sorry it took so long for me to get back to everyone but I had to defrag all my volumes thinking that was the problem but that wasNOT it but hey my drives are WAY less fragmented now. Then I noticed that when I copied something toa share not on C: it would copy some then pause then copy a little more then pause and continue this until the copy was complete, as if were writing to another location first then to the share where I wanted it to go. FINALLY, it hit me, like a ton of bricks falling out of the sky, DRIVE COMPRESSION WAS ON FOR ALL THE DRIVES EXCEPT FOR C:. DUHHHHHH, So it was compressing the file as it copied it over that's why itcopied a little then paused, thencopied a little more and so on. So add that to the list of things to check when having file speed problems.Yes I know ID10T error or DFU, I'll accept that.Thanks for all the assistance though team. Have a good one.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 7th, 2009 7:50pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics