Server 2008 DHCPv6 scopes
I'm currently learning server 2008, and am confused about why this is not working as I think it should.. My textbook (microsoft press) says to create a new DHCPv6 scope with a prefix of "fec0::fffe".. however once it's created, the prefix only shows "fec0::". So, when I create an exclusion range, it says the range I created was "fec0::1" to "fec0::ff". Also, when I try to put "fec0:0:0:fffe" into the prefix text box while setting up the scope, it says "the prefix entered is invalid". Also - when I go to test the scope, my DHCP client is not picking up the scope. It's only configuring itself with a link-local IP address. I tried using ipconfig /release and /renew, but it says "the operation failed as no adapter is in the state permissible for this operation" It seems to me that dhcpv6 is completely disfunctional, based on these observations. Is this normal, or am I doing something wrong? TIAA+, Network+, MCP, MCTS:Windows 7 Configuration
August 10th, 2010 6:29am

Hi, fec0:fffe is an IPv6 address ,full address name is fec0:0000:0000:0000:0000:0000:0000:fffe, not IP range .If you want a prefix for this scope you should import " fec00:fffe:: ". Please spend time to read the article below to understand how IPv6 address expressed . http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc784831(WS.10).aspx Yin
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 12th, 2010 9:06am

Aha! Thank you very much. Once again, the textbook is wrong. It specifically said to use "fec0::fffe" as the prefix. I've since changed it to "fec0:0:0:fffe::"A+, Network+, MCP, MCTS:Windows 7 Configuration
August 12th, 2010 2:10pm

Hello, if you pos the complete book name would be fine. Are you aware that KB articles exist with error corrections also for MS books?Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 12th, 2010 2:51pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics