Server 2008 Can't Ping Server Core Virtual Machine
I am working through the 70-640 Microsoft Press book. I have Server 2008 on one virtual machine and Server Core on another virtual machine. I can ping the Server 2008 (domain controller) from the VM that contains the Server Core, but I can't ping the Server Core from the Server 2008 VM. What am I missing please?Thank you.
January 22nd, 2010 10:50pm

If you can ping one way and not the other is is almost always caused by ther firewall blocking ICMP echo.Bill
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
January 23rd, 2010 3:49am

Thanks Bill.I ran 'netsh firewall set icmpsetting 8 enable' on my Server Core vm and that worked. Now, I can ping IP's both ways between my VM's, but I can't ping the domain, contoso.com from the Server Core VM. When I try to run 'netdom join server02 /domain:contoso.com', it gives me the following:'The specified domain either does not exisit or could not be contacted.The command failed to complete successfully.'Breakdown:I can ping IP's from Server 08 VM to Server Core VM and visa versa.I can't ping the domain (located on Server 08) from the Server Core VM.I can ping Server01 (computer name of Server 08 VM) from Server Core VM.I can't ping Server02 (computer name of Server Core VM) from Server 08 VM.What am I missing please?Thank you.
January 25th, 2010 5:45pm

Hi there, I was having a similar problem here: http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en/CertGeneral/thread/5d021971-d6e9-4680-b5d2-205311512de1 and managed to find the problem, this is if you are using Windows Virtual PC (not Virtual PC 2007). Hopefully this will help you too: Response from Microsoft: ************************************************************************************************************************************ Yes this is a known issue that when you connect the virtual machines to internal network, it gets the IP address from the internal network inbuilt DHCP server. You can work around this as follows - Hibernate/Turn off all the VMs. From Task Manager, kill vpc.exe if it doesn`t exit on its own. -Edit "%localappdata%\microsoft\Windows Virtual PC\options.xml" -In the XML file -> Under the "internal network" node: i.e. "preferences\Virtual Network id =0\virtual_server\dhcp\" , set enabled = false. -Turn on the VMs and verify the scenario. *************************************************************************************************************************************
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
February 15th, 2010 4:39pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics