Server 2008 Bare metal restore bug?
Hi guys,I've been installing the 64bit, standard server 2008 onto three brand new, dell poweredge 2950's.To save myself some time I figured I'd set one up completely (but not activate it), then back it up, and do a bare metal restore on the other machines, tweak some settings and bingo... three machines.So I set the first one up, fully updated it, configured it, installed some third party apps etc. I then backed it up to a usb hard drive.no problems so far.I start the bare metal restore.... insert server 2008 disk & usb hard drive, go to repair... etc.. it gets all the way through until it asks me to check a box to confirm that it's about to format my drives and that it's ok, then announces that it cannot continue because the backup is for a 32 bit machine, and this machine is 64 bit.the backup was made from a 64 bit machine? identical to this one?Have i missed something obvious or is this a bug?cheers!Pete
May 20th, 2008 2:34pm

Hi, 1. Can you verify that all the 3 DELL poweredge 2950 servers have the same hardware configuration? 2. Since Dell Poweredge 2950 have different hardware configuration, can you verify that all the 3 DELL servers support 64bit on hardware level? 3. How did you back up the first installed Windows Server 2008 operation system? 4. Which application did you use to backup the OS, Windows Server Backup or Symantec Ghost or something else? Hope it helps.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 21st, 2008 1:57pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics