Server 2008 - win7 computer Intermittent internet connection
I have 2 computer labs that I look after a little. The Windows 2008 server is running and providing the computers with DHCP service. I turned off IVP6 (or whatever it's called) thinking that would solve the issue...nope. There are some computers in the building running Windows XP because we have not updated them yet. Computer A is working fine. Connected to the network and internet. Computer B starts up, will connect to the server (LAN), but not to the internet. This might continue for a couple of days or less. Then the problem will switch from one computer to the other. Another day a third computer might be the one acting. Most of the time it is a select few dropping the internet connection, but it seems to shut them out randomly. Any and all tips would be greatly appreciated. I am fairly beginner at this situation. Thanks in advance. Bobbi
February 2nd, 2011 7:21am

Hi, How the internet client connects to the Windows Server 2008? And have you tried to use the PING command to test the connection when this issue happens? Furthermore, I suggest you can use the Network Monitor to capture the real-time traffic between the problematic client and server side and then you might find some useful clue. Microsoft Network Monitor 3.4 http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=983b941d-06cb-4658-b7f6-3088333d062f&displaylang=en Thanks.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
February 19th, 2011 1:07am

Hi Bobbi First of all please make sure your DHCP scope covers the number of machines on your network. Can you explain how clients connect to the internet.. do you have a router or firewall configured with a public address or you are sharing the internet connection on your server? On a computer that is failling to connect to the internet can you run the command ipconfig /all and send us the info. And also on your server can you do the same command ipconfig /all and send us the output. tech-nique
February 19th, 2011 1:39pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics