Server 2008R2 Standard giving "This copy of windows is not genuine" error, cannot run windows activation.
I've got a windows 2k8R2 server in production that's been running since mid October. This morning we're suddenly having production issues with the databases running on the box. I connect in and the desktop is flat black with the Not genuine error showing on the bottom right of my desktop, which wasn't there when I was last on the box several days before. I know the box is valid and licensed. I figured I'd try to launch the activation wizard again, so I enabled the internet NIC and launced the wizard, just in case it needed to be reactivated for some reason. I got the following error: Windows Activation: An error has occured. Code: 0x80070422 Description: The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled services associated with it. One more odd thing, launching the server manager, the server summary is completely blank: http://www.geekforever.com/misc/wonkaf.gif This seems to be such a general error that google and technet have been pretty useless so far, most of the 0x80070422 errors seem to be from Vista or the Windows 7 beta and were fixed via various registry repair tools, which I am loathe to run on Server2k8, especially one in production. Help!
December 29th, 2010 3:32pm

Hello, please contact Microsoft support. They will help you if your license key is correct. So have the license papers at hand. Which kind of license are you using, OEM, volume licensing etc.?Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
December 30th, 2010 8:42am

Hi, For the activation error 0x80070422, it can be caused due to the following services are not running properly: • Background Intelligent Transfer Service • Software Protection • SPP Notification Service Please check their status via Services and try to activate again. What is the result? Also, you can run “slmgr /dlv” in CMD prompt command line to see the details about the activation. As Meinolf suggested, you can refer to the following link to contact the licensing team: http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/contact-us.aspx Thanks. Nina This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
December 30th, 2010 10:37pm

Thank you Nina Liu; Something installed on the server recently had disabled the Software Protection service, once restarted the system activated fine and is reporting as windows genuine again. Thanks!
December 31st, 2010 3:06am

Hi, I am glad to hear that the problem has been resolved. Thanks for your feedback. Best Regards, Nina This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
January 3rd, 2011 8:47pm

Thanks a ton Nina.... After restart the below services issue got resolved. Software Protection SPP Notification Service Thanks/Regards, Avijit Dutta
September 5th, 2012 4:46am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics