Server 2008R2 / Storage Server / SIS
Long time listener, first time poster (kind of)I run an organization that currently has (2) 2003r2ent in a cluster, and the only thing it does is provide file server access via fibre channel SAN. I have the docs printed and ready to follow for Cluster upgrade paths to 2008 / 2008R2My question is, and is my main reason for upgrading to 2008 is to get SIS. We have almost a million files on the file server and utillities are telling me some 220k are exact duplicates. I want to employ SIS - which as I understand through my best reasearch is only available in the Storage ed. Which as I also understand is only an OEM product. However - I was able to download Storage Server 2008 and 2 keys via my MSDN account. They didn't improve upon FSRM in 2008r2 that accomplishes this also did they?Is storage server my only solution for this problem? I'm assuming you can cluster storage servers.
August 26th, 2009 3:49pm

Anyone?
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 27th, 2009 1:52am

Hello Newmar, Yes. You are right. Storage serve can be a solution to fulfill your demand. By using Single Instance Storage (SIS), we can make SIS scans storage volumes for duplicate files, and moves the duplicate files to the common SIS store. The file on the volume is replaced with a link to the file, which has its own set of ACLs. This reduces the amount of storage space required, by as much as 40-70% depending on the amount of file-level duplication. For this problem; you may consider implementing either Windows Storage Server 2003 R2 or Windows Storage Server 2008. For more information about SIS, please checkout Jose Barreto's blog on SIS , and for a nicely detailed overview, please check the Microsoft IT Showcase: SIS As for the File Server Resource Manager (FSRM), Windows storage servers actually improve with five pre-made templates for quotas and file screens which have a good sample of typical quotas and screensthat we may use. For the more detailed information, you can also read the Windows Storage Server team blog as followed. Windows Storage Server blog http://blogs.technet.com/storageserver/archive/2008/06/04/welcome-to-the-new-windows-storage-server-blog.aspx Hope this can be helpful.This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
August 27th, 2009 1:05pm

Hi Newmar,I want to see if the information provided was helpful. Please keep us posted on your progress and let us know if you have any additional questions or concerns.This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 31st, 2009 10:29am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics