Server 2008: User Profile Service and XP Clients
Hi, Now I am having a problem with our Win Server 2008 with 5 Win XP clients. The server stopped sharing the shared folders whenever there is a popup of 'User Profile Service stopped working'. So the clients cannot access the shared folder even though the LAN connection is still there and working. I also came across an article that says Win Server 2008 has an issue about a Timeout or something, that the Server will stop sharing when the client is idle for a certain period of time (I've lost track which site that I read about that). Looks like the server did stopped sharing after around 1 hour 15mins but I could not get it to share the folders again unless I reboot the server. I wonder if there are some settings in User Profile Service or if there any windows patches for this issue? Thanks!
March 15th, 2010 6:00am

I had a similar issue in server 2008. After a lot of troubleshooting it came down to Norton Anti Virus software. There is a patch for it. Symantec was very helpful directing me to the download. Our server would just drop shared folders at random times. After symantec patch was applied, everything was ok.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
March 16th, 2010 1:43am

I had a similar issue in server 2008. After a lot of troubleshooting it came down to Norton Anti Virus software. There is a patch for it. Symantec was very helpful directing me to the download. Our server would just drop shared folders at random times. After symantec patch was applied, everything was ok. Thanks for your reply. But we haven't installed any anti virus software yet and we are still troubleshooting what is the cause for the problem :(
March 16th, 2010 3:58am

Hi Shrrn,When this issue occurs on XP clients? Can you access server's share from itself?Does it have any related log in the event viewer?Regards,Wilson JiaThis posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
March 16th, 2010 11:41am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics