Server 2008, SQL 2008 won't start Port 1433 issues with WININIT.EXE
I'm running Server 2008 Standard 64-bit system on an HP Blade. On this server was installed SQL 2008 with most of the bells and whistles. Everything was humming along quite nicely until Oracle was installed.Now, SQL will not start. I know it requires Port 1433 to be open and that's the root of my problem:WININIT.EXE is now listening on Port 1433 (as opposed to 49152) and won't "let go" so ergo, it won't allow SQL to start.Short of blowing away the system and starting over, is there a way to manually force wininit.exe to listen on the correct/accepted port?Thanks!
March 15th, 2010 10:02pm

Hello,i think this will be the better place for your questions:http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/category/sqlserver/Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
March 16th, 2010 9:58am

Hello,i think this will be the better place for your questions:http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/category/sqlserver/ Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Don't quite think so since the main thrust of my question is about forcing WININIT.EXE off of port 1433, rather than SQL itself; appreciate the assist, none the less. I know what I need to do to get SQL running, but I don't want to force it off it's default port, thus knocking this specific server out of standard.Cross posted it anyways, just in case.
March 17th, 2010 4:37pm

To resolve my own issue:I started to poke around the registry for port assignments and found a key called "Internet" (HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Rpc\Internet\) that was holding port 1433 in reserve for some reason. I deleted that key, reconfigured SQL to look back on 1433, rebooted, then it came right on up.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
March 17th, 2010 5:37pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics