Server 2003 unable to remove POP3 service
Hey, just to start off please bare with me. I'm fairly new with Server 2003and I don't know exactly where everything is. My problem is uninstalling the POP3 Service on Server 2003.I've been trying to get it to work for ages, and can't. I'vefound a tutorial that seems to work so I am going to try to follow that. Here are my stepsfor uninstalling thePOP3 server.1. Press start then manage your server.2. Click "Add or remove a role"3. Select mail server, press next then check-off the "Remove the mail server role" then click next.4. Allow it to run and attempt to uninstall, instead I get this message:"Cannot CompleteThe configure your server wizard cannot finish removing the mail server role from this server because the POP3 service could not be removed. To remove the POP3 service, try running the Configure Your Server Wizard again, or use Add or Remove Programs."I've done both, although I cannot find anything in Add or Remove Programs. I look at the "Configure Your Server Log" and it states this:(7/20/2008 1:45:57 PM)Removal of Mail Server RolePOP3 could not be removed.To remove POP3, try running the Configure Your Server Wizard again.To remove POP3 manually, click Start, point to Control panel, and click Add or remove programs. Click Add/Remove Windows Components, click the box next to POP3, and click Next.Basically the same message. So, how do I remove this service so I can start again? Thanks for your help!
July 20th, 2008 8:51pm

Hi, Please manually remove POP3 in a clean boot environment and check the result: 1. Click Start, click Run, type msconfig in the Open box, and then click OK. 2. Click the General tab, click Selective Startup. 3. Under Selective Startup, click to clear the following check boxes: Process SYSTEM.INI File Process WIN.INI File Load Startup Items 4. Click the Services tab, click to select the Hide All Microsoft Services check box, and then click Disable All. 5. Click OK, and then click Restart. 6. After Windows starts, click Start, point to Control panel, and click Add or remove programs. 7. Click the Add/Remove Windows Components button. 8. In the Components list, clear the checkbox E-mail Services, and then click Next to remove the POP3 component. If there is any error prompted, please let me know the exact wording. Hope it helps.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 22nd, 2008 12:26pm

That worked perfectly, thanks!
July 28th, 2008 9:21pm

Hi,I had the same problem for quite a long minute but after I tried what you suggested, I finally got it working.Thanks.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 8th, 2009 4:21pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics