Server 2003 to 2012 HP-L7780 Digital Filing Error

I am migrating a single 2003 PDC/file server environment to 2012 R2.  The process appears to have gone well, (FSMO, DNS, DHCP transferred fine, etc.).  The 2012 is servicing all requests, while 2003 is still on line while all the file shares, and centrally-managed apps are migrated to 2012, prior to 2003 being decommissioned.  But, I have one curious issue that popped up, unexpectedly and without a readily apparent solution. 

The environment also uses an HP L7780 All-in-one scanner/printer configured for Digital Filing; that is, a scan can be made to a file on a share on the file server (which is located on a data-drive array on the PDC separate from the system volume).  The setup for this digital filing feature is from within the HP Web Mgmt interface (managed by a direct browser connection to the printer, itself):  base-filename, destination-share, login-name & login-password.  Pretty simple.  This process has worked flawlessly for 2003.  However, when substituting the 2012 share for the 2003, a scanned document of 0-bytes appears on the 2012 share, and the printer reports the error: "Network connection error.  Check network and try again."

This error suggests a permissions issue; and, perhaps it is.  However, I cannot determine a solution.  If I reconfigure the printer to go back to the 2003 share, everything is fine again, so I know that the issue is not in the printer.  Within 2012, I have attempted everything I can think of, including trying both SMB & NFS shares with total access by Guest & everyone, etc.  Of course, these shares can be accessed, written to, etc., from other clients, just not from the L7780.

Unless someone who reads this has a specific solution, my other questions involve how I can get more details about the error?  I could not locate anything relevant in the 2012 event logs, but perhaps I was looking in the wrong places.  I could try Wireshark & examine packets, but I'm not sure what I'd be looking for.  Is there anything else about 2012 vs 2003 with regard to security that I may have overlooked?

August 31st, 2014 8:15pm

Many scanners have problems with newer SMB versions offered since Windows Server 2008.  Sometimes a firmware update of the scanner will fix it. I have also seen where the path has to be put in using the ip address instead of the hostname, \\192.168.45.4\scans instead of \\2012server\scans.  You might also want to ensure SMB v1 is enabled on the new server. You can check for this in powershell using 'Get-WindowsFeature -Name FS-SMB1'
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 1st, 2014 3:45am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics