Server 2003 cannot contact Domain controler or LAN
I have a server running Windows 2003 Server. It is set to get an IP automatically via DHCP, and the DHCP server has an IP reserved for that server's MAC. Recently someone told me this server was unreachable, I looked into it and found that it has the correct IP, and it has access to the web via a browser but I cannot contact the server at all from the LAN, or contact any machines on the LAN from this server. No one can ping, RDP, or anything to it. I have tried using a different network card, a different patch cable and a different port on the network and still I have the same issue. If I start the server in safe mode with networking, I can then ping it form within the LAN. I ran a scan with malwarebytes, with McAfee anti-virus, and have come up with nothing. I installed all the latest windows updates, including a driver update windows found for my network card, and still nothing. I tried logging in as the local admin, reoving the server from the domain, then deleting the server from active directory, and then adding it back to the domain, but then it only stated that it could not find the domain. I had to log back in with safe mode with networking to re-join it to the domain, but now when I reboot it will not authenticate me because it says it cannot see the domain. There are no firewalls installed on the system and the windows firewall service is disabled. Please let me know what might be causing this. If I run an nslookup on the machine by IP or name it does resolve to the correct IP, but unless it is in safe mode w/ networking I cannot ping it or RDP to it at all. Please let me know if you have any ideas. Brian
October 21st, 2010 4:13pm

Is this server using the same DNS client settings as other systems on the network? It may help to take a look at the ip settings. Can you post the results of ipconfig /all from that server? Visit: anITKB.com, an IT Knowledge Base.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
October 21st, 2010 8:51pm

Hi, Thank you for your post here. 1. First of all, please reset the TCP/IP and reboot the machine to check how it works. How to reset Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299357 2. What happens if you manually set static IP address, subnet mask and gateway on the server? IPconfig /all output would help here.
October 22nd, 2010 4:10am

I reset TCP/IP manually like the article explains and it did not make any difference, here is the Ipconfig /all: Ethernet adapter Intel 82544GC Based Network Connection - Onboard: Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : southboro.viryanet.com Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/1000 XT Network Connection Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0F-1F-69-7D-8F DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.10.10.69 Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0 Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 10.10.10.254 DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.10.10.87 DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.10.10.84 10.10.10.87 Primary WINS Server . . . . . . . : 10.10.10.84 Secondary WINS Server . . . . . . : 199.203.117.242 207.100.81.76 Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Friday, October 22, 2010 10:41:32 AM Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Saturday, October 23, 2010 6:41:32 AM I have tried setting the IP to static and it still has the same issue. These are the same DNS servers that all the machines on the domain are using.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
October 22nd, 2010 11:08am

Hello, are this also DNS servers, 199.203.117.242 and 207.100.81.76? Then this is your problem, external DNS servers should not be used domain internal, then you run into the problem you see now.Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
November 7th, 2010 12:12pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics