Server 2003 additional network card not functioning correctly
Dear All I have a (AD) Server 2003 machine which i have just installed an intel gigabit network card into as well as the onboard 10/100 card. The onboard card (10.0.10.1) can be seen ok from the network and you can see shares etc but the new gigabit card (10.0.10.2) doesn't it just times out. You can ping it from workstations and i've even set one workstation to use it for DNS and that appears to work ok. I eventually want to stop using the onboard nic (10.0.10.1) but not just yet. Do i have to do anything to anything to give the new network card permissions to allow access or anything? Thanks in advance.
February 1st, 2010 5:25pm

Eddie,I think more details are going to be needed to better assist you. However, we will try without them in the mean time.First, this design is not recommended. There are other issues aside from this that you may encounter using a multi-home (more than one NIC) DC. You should finish your migration to the new NIC asap.Anyway...Not sure what you mean by the "new gigabit card doesnt, it just times out." How did you come to this conclusion? In any case, have you checked the TCP/IP settings on the gigabit card? Do you have the correct subnet mask and default gateway listed? Without the correct subnet mask and gateway, packets leaving from this interface will not make it to remote subnets (on the other side of your gateway). If the new gigabit card is up and functional, my recommmendation is to disable the 100 mb card and keep the gigabit card enabled. You can just use the same IP of 10.0.10.1 on that gigabit card once the 100 mb card is disabled. This is really the best option for you. If you are unable to proceed, you can continue to run both cards at the same time, but I suspect that even if you clarify the TCP/IP settings, you still may encounter some issues especially from the workstation's perspective since both cards will be registerd in DNS. You wont be able to know for sure which interface your computers will attempt to connect on. Visit my blog: anITKB.com, an IT Knowledge Base.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
February 1st, 2010 6:30pm

Thanks Jorge I can migrate to the gigabit card now if it makes things easier. How do i migrate from one card to another? At present the cards are setup as follows 10/100 card ip 10.0.10.1 subnet mask 255.255.255.0 gateway 10.0.10.9 primary dns 127.0.0.1 gigabit card ip 10.0.10.2 subnet mask 255.255.255.0 gateway 10.0.10.9 primary dns 127.0.0.1 If i go to a workstation and put \\10.0.10.1 into the address bar of windows explorer i see a list of shares on the server, if i put \\10.0.10.2 into windows explorer it times out with no result. I cant map drives to the server if i disconnect the 10/100 cable but i can ping it successfully. I'm happy to migrate if its easier I hope it makes more sense now
February 1st, 2010 6:37pm

Your cards' TCP/IP properties appear to be set up correctly. However, a few more things to check on. First, on the properties of the Gigabit card, Do you have the following client/service included:-Client for Microsoft Networks-File and Print Sharing for Microsoft NetworksThese two will be required to be able to log on, access network resources, and share resources on the server.In addition, have you checked your Firewall settings and rules? You could have the FW enabled for that Gb interface and blocking access (ICMP is enabled by default on the FW which would explain why you can PING the server).As far as migrating, sorry for the poor choice in words. All i am referring to is disabling the 100 mb card, and setting the same IP (10.0.10.1) on the GB card. However, if this is a production server, that would not be a good idea without a maintenance window since this may not work depending on the other things i mentioned in this post.Some things you can also try via troubleshooting.Disable the 100 mb card and leave the gb card enabled. Can you PING your workstations? Can they ping you? If so, you know for sure that you have network connectivity and that your problem is related to higher level protocols, possibly some of the things i mentioned. Visit my blog: anITKB.com, an IT Knowledge Base.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
February 1st, 2010 7:02pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics