Server 2003 Standard OEM Disks
I just purchased a used Dell Poweredge Sc 1425 and it came with a COA stuck to it, but the seller didn't have the OEM disks. I'm seting this up for a non profit and would like to save them some money by not having to purchase a new License when they technically already own one with the server. I'd appreciate any help in either sending me or information where I can get an OEM copy. Again, the COA says it's for Standard 2003. It doesn't say SP1, or R2, and I'm not sure if any Dell OEM disk will work with the COA key. I've already contacted Dell and they can't release the Disks anymore. Tried Ebay, but it's all retail, and tried Microsoft who pointed me back to Dell. Thanks Tom-Help?
March 27th, 2011 5:25am

If dell wont provide it then it sounds like ebay (or the like) would be your best resource. Regards, Dave Patrick .... Microsoft Certified Professional Microsoft MVP [Windows]
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
March 27th, 2011 5:36am

Your best bet is to forget about the installed OS and do a clean install from a retail version of the OS. Server 2008 runs very well on my SC1430. I used it to beta test Hyper-V. I doubt that you can legally transfer an OEM license. My understanding is that it is tied to both the original machine and the original purchaser.Bill
March 27th, 2011 9:29am

...would like to save them some money by not having to purchase a new License when they technically already own one with the server. A valid Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) license must always include: An undamaged Certificate of Authority (stuck to the machine) A product description leaflet Installation media Since it seems some of these are missing, the OEM license, technically, is not valid.
March 27th, 2011 4:29pm

...would like to save them some money by not having to purchase a new License when they technically already own one with the server. A valid Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) license must always include: An undamaged Certificate of Authority (stuck to the machine) A product description leaflet Installation media Since it seems some of these are missing, the OEM license, technically, is not valid. Thanks for the help. What is your reference for this. Seems like it's splitting hairs. Ebay only requires hardware when selling OEM disks. I'm still holding out hope-Help?
March 27th, 2011 11:16pm

http://www.microsoft.com/howtotell/content.aspx?displaylang=en&pg=coa Regards, Dave Patrick .... Microsoft Certified Professional Microsoft MVP [Windows]
March 27th, 2011 11:53pm

Hi, You should contact Dell. Tim Quan
March 28th, 2011 8:50am

Thanks for the help. What is your reference for this. Seems like it's splitting hairs. Ebay only requires hardware when selling OEM disks. I'm still holding out hope I'm referring to: http://www.microsoft.com/oem/en/licensing/sblicensing/pages/licensing_faq.aspx Two sentences in particular describe what I'm talking about: COA labels must be distributed as part of the full System Builder software license, which also includes the hologram CD and documentation. A COA is not a software license.
March 28th, 2011 10:46am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics