Server 2003 Shutdown problems
I have Windows Server 2003 SP2, and it takes about 45 mins for the Server to reboot shutdown, powering back on is normal but the shutdown time is not. What do you think the problem could be? I am going to disable all my services, I am going to try to end any processes that I can with task manager before I shutdown the PC to see if that helps any. I also cannot find anything in Event Viewer to help me with this I am going to run a diagnostic startup to see if that will help, and I am not sure if it takes 45 mins to shutdown or reboot in safe mode I will try that also. Do you have any more ideas as to what the problem is or things I could try? Also in my ntbootlog.txt I am getting a lot of devices that did not load. Such as Logmein, Intel Processer, Media Control devices, Audio Codecs, Maxtorx G220 (Video Card), Commuincations Port. And its not jsut one or three times, looks to me about 200 or 300 times, and all those devices that I listed were the ones that did not load and they are listed many times in that file. is that normal? This server is running DNS, and DHCP and a File Server
March 7th, 2011 2:37pm

Also try from a clean boot. 1. Click Start, click Run, type "msconfig" (without quotation marks) in the Start Search box, and then press Enter. 2. Click the "Services" tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click "Disable All" 3. Click the "Startup" tab, click "Disable All" and click "OK". Then, restart the computer and check the next shutdown time from running the diagnostic startup. Regards, Dave Patrick .... Microsoft Certified Professional Microsoft MVP [Windows]
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
March 7th, 2011 2:55pm

I would try booting into Safe Mode and trying shutdown / reboot that is it also takes 45 minutes? Are your drivers up to date? Try to uninstall all not requires software Did you run virus scan on that machine?With kind regards Krystian Zieja http://www.projectnenvision.com Follow me on twitter My Blog
March 7th, 2011 2:58pm

Well I disabled all servies, and did a clean boot. I also ran in Safe mode and rebooted from safe mode and it seems like it took longer to do a restart, about 50 mins and then when I rebooted in Normal mode it took about 50 mins instead of 45. Well I ran Malware bytes and we have Panda Antivirus as the virus protection and neither found any.
March 7th, 2011 5:06pm

Since it also happens with a diagnostic startup where all third party is disabled it seems to point to problem or damage to some core functionality. You may need to run a repair installation. Since it is a production server I'd start a support call with Microsoft product support. Regards, Dave Patrick .... Microsoft Certified Professional Microsoft MVP [Windows]
March 7th, 2011 5:14pm

Okay thanks, I am also working with my antivirus vendor to another provblem and they are telling me to run a virus scan, so I have some test to do and will report back if I found anything else. If I was to do a repair would that interfere with AD, DNS, and DHCP? That's problay why you are telling me to contact Microsoft so that does not happen right? Thanks
March 7th, 2011 5:24pm

Yes, that's possible and also because the risk is greater I'm hesitant to try and guide you via this forum. If something does happen or go wrong they may get you going faster as well. Either case I think I'd have another DC up before doing anything. Regards, Dave Patrick .... Microsoft Certified Professional Microsoft MVP [Windows]
March 7th, 2011 5:28pm

Thanks for the help we do have another DC in standby in case of failure. The antivirus tuned out with no harmfull software. I know DHCP will automaticly run in case of failure but what about DNS? I know you cannot have two DNS servers on the same network, so you have to actually start DNS right? Where as DHCP will start automaticlly?
March 8th, 2011 10:12pm

Another DNS server shouldn't be a problem. http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc757524(WS.10).aspx Regards, Dave Patrick .... Microsoft Certified Professional Microsoft MVP [Windows]
March 8th, 2011 11:09pm

So when I add this zone this will allow our other domain controller to take over in case our primary fails?
March 10th, 2011 11:08pm

I think if it were me I'd transfer the roles now, demote it and rebuild it. Regards, Dave Patrick .... Microsoft Certified Professional Microsoft MVP [Windows]
March 10th, 2011 11:27pm

Here are my few cents... I pressume you are running an OS on a Physical box, if that is the case then please go with Dave's suggestion. Just FYI... I had faced similar issue on one of my prod DB server which is infact a VM on VMware ESX. The root cause for that issue was snapshots associated with that specific VM. We had created 13 snapshots which case causing issues; upon deletion of the snapshots situation came under control. Thanks, Santosh (MCTS W2K8 AD and SCCM) “ To Infinity and Beyond… ”
March 11th, 2011 12:36am

But if this server that we are talking about is the first DC in the forest, when I dcpromo it what will happen to the domain?
March 14th, 2011 11:58am

You need to first transfer the FSMO roles to other availalble DC and then demote and rebuild it. Please do not run dcpromo without transfering the FSMO roles to other DC. As per my knowledge, in AD domains, the concept of "First DC" is obsolete. FSMO roles do not have to be assigned to the same DC. You can simply transfer FSMO through any supported method (GUI or ntdsutil - as suggested in http://support.microsoft.com/kb/255504) to other availalble domain controllers. To have intermittent redundancy while you rebuild the existing DC, you can create a VM and promote it as a DC which should be a Global Catalog and install DNS server on it. Make sure replications is working properly;Please refer http://support.microsoft.com/kb/232072 Install DNS on the new server and wait for replication to complete the transfer of AD-integrated zones. Make sure, all domain computers point to this DNS as their primary or secondary as per your wish. Modify DNS server configuration (e.g. forwarders) to match the configuration of the "old" DNS server (which you would rebuild) In addition to above refer http://www.petri.co.il/transferring_fsmo_roles.htm on transfering FSMO roles. Once you transfer FSMO roles and rebuild the problematic server, follow the same procedure and then get rid of the VM. Hope it helps. Thanks, Santosh (MCTS W2K8 AD and SCCM) “ To Infinity and Beyond… ”
March 14th, 2011 12:16pm

Thanks for the info, now let me ask you this. How do you get the Global Catalog to live on two servers? I I only have a one copy of the Global Catalog on one server, then if that server goes down, then users cannot log on to the network right? Or is the Catalog replicated out? "Once you transfer FSMO roles and rebuild the problematic server, follow the same procedure and then get rid of the VM". I don't have a VM I have a physical server is the instuctions still the same?
March 21st, 2011 11:35am

This one may help you add another GC How to create or move a global catalog in Windows Server 2003, Windows 2000, or Small Business Server 2000 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/313994 Regards, Dave Patrick .... Microsoft Certified Professional Microsoft MVP [Windows]
March 21st, 2011 9:06pm

"Once you transfer FSMO roles and rebuild the problematic server, follow the same procedure and then get rid of the VM". I don't have a VM I have a physical server is the instuctions still the same? Answer would be Yes. You can keep the intermittent server if needed or else decommision it. Thanks, Santosh (MCTS W2K8 AD and SCCM) “ To Infinity and Beyond… ”
March 22nd, 2011 12:38am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics