Server 2003 Recovery Console Set Command - Can't Copy to Removeable Media
My operating system drive is dead. Having new server built as currentis old. Wanting to access a few files on the data drive, which is in tact,while waiting. Tried to copy files from hard drive to a floppy using the recovery console. Unfortuantely this is not permitted and I do not have permission to use the set command to allow this. I cannot get into windows to enable this change in the set command. Is there another way to change the set commmand or copy some files to a floppy?
March 19th, 2008 8:07pm

You are probably going to have to remove the drive and attach it to an additional server. This will most likely involve taking ownership of the files and writing yourself into the ACLs.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
March 19th, 2008 9:36pm

Hi, For security reasons, files access in the recovery console is severely limited. Copying a file from the local hard disk to the Removable Media is restricted by default. However, you can copy a file from a floppy disk to a hard disk, and you can copy a file from one hard disk to another hard disk. When the system can be normally log on to, enable the 'Recovery console: Allow floppy copy and access to all drives and all folders' setting in Local Computer Policy will help you with this issue. Considering your operating system drive is corrupted, the only way to get the date out is physically connect the HDD from old server. BTW, you also can try Windows PE to copy data.
March 20th, 2008 1:56pm

Thanks for the responses but unfortunately they are not oprions. I have come across something that works that perhaps may help you somtime. It is a NTFS Reader/Boot Disk. I was able to load this to a floppy (could use a CD), boot the disk on my server and execute the NTFS Reader. The program will allow you to drill down through all directories on any drive and view all files. You can select individual files and copy them to a blank floppy or CD. It is located here: http://www.free-av.com/en/download/11/avira_ntfs4dos_personal.html It is called Avira NTFS4DOS Personal and is a free download. Thansk again for the responses, I really appreacite it. chazaq
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
March 20th, 2008 2:12pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics