Server 2003 R2 network services take 12 minutes to start after boot, and "network cable unplugged" message on one of two NICs
I have a Windows 2003 R2 Enterprise 32 bit server with two Broadcom NetXtreme NICs. NIC # 1 is connected to the LAN. NIC # 2 is connected to the Internet. NIC # 1 has an IP of 10.10.10.11 netmask 255.255.255.0 and no gateway. NIC # 2 has a single static IP with a gateway address. The event log was logging event ID 8021 "The browser service was unable to retrieve a list of servers from the browser master \\MYOWNCOMPUTERNAME" at 6 minutes into the boot process. At 12 minutes into the boot process event ID 8003 "The master browser has received a server announcement from the computer MYOWNCOMPUTERNAME that believes that it is the master browser for the domain on transport..." appears. At the 12 minute mark, NIC 2 changes status to "network cable unplugged" even though it is plugged in. At the same 12 minute point, NIC 1 starts responding to pings. I found several articles on the subject, and disabled the Computer Browser service, and edited the registry to make sure IsDomainMaster and MaintainServerList are No/False. I've unbound File and Printer sharing and Client for Microsoft Networks on the problem NIC. I no longer get the event ID 8021 and 8003 errors in the log, but the same 12 minute delay and "network cable unplugged" issue exists. I've uninstalled the problem NIC driver, and reinstalled it. Coincidentally, I installed Service Pack 3 for SQL Server 2005 this morning and rebooted, and now this network cable unplugged thing appeared. Seems unrelated, but I don't know...
June 26th, 2010 10:19pm

I'd move the routing function to a hardware solution and remove the second NIC from server. These problems are typical with multi-homed configuration. Regards, Dave Patrick .... Microsoft Certified Professional -Microsoft MVP [Windows]
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 27th, 2010 12:22am

Problem solved. Weird coincidence that we installed this server at a datacenter yesterday and it just so happens the network cable got loose right around when I was rebooting after the SQL update. Had the tech at the DC check the cable and sure enough he said it was loose. Server boots in about 2 minutes now, as it should. It's been a looong day.
June 27th, 2010 1:16am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics