Server 2003 R2 freeze without any error log. Should be!!!
I changed a new file server in 2008 February form a old Windows storage server 2003 to Windows Server 2003 R2. Old server(CPU C2.4, Ram 1GB, 150GB HD *2) without any problem. But new server(Tyan server CPU E5335 2.0, Ram 2GB, Intel Pro/1000 *2, XGI z7 Graphics) when I settings server 2003 R2 ok and run for a file server. For several days, the server 2003 no responses without any error messages or log. Four months, the server already hangs for more then ten times. Every time when user can not connect the file server share folder or network disk, then the server hangs or no responses. The server hangs is aperiodicity. Before ask the question, I had update the graphics and on board RAID driver. It is useless. I had change the server ram---useless. Next Week, I change the server, just not change the CPU, RAM and HD. But it still hangs yesterday. Should I reinstall the server 2003 R2 for it? I have no idea with this problem, because without and error log and the hardware is changed. Does any one know server 2003 R2 just for the file server, why it hangs some time without any error log? And how to solve it? Thanks a lot.
July 2nd, 2008 8:30am

Hello,In order to narrow down the cause of the issue more efficiently, Pleaserefer the following steps to perform a Clean Boot and restart the computer in Safe Mode to isolate third party application influence. Step 1: Perform a Clean Boot 1. Click "Start", go to "Run", and type "msconfig" in the open box to start the System Configuration Utility. 2. Click the "Services" tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click Disable All (if it is not gray). 3. Click the "Startup" tab, click "Disable All" and click "OK". Then, restart your computer. When the "System Configuration Utility" window appears, please check the box and click "OK". Step 2: Reboot to Safe Mode 1. Restart your computer and start pressing the F8 key on your keyboard. On a computer that is configured for booting to multiple Operating Systems, you can press the F8 key when you see the boot menu. 2. When the Windows Advanced Options menu appears, select Safe Mode, and then press Enter. 3. Log onto Windows by using the Administrator account or any user account with the Administrator privileges. Please note: In Safe Mode, your system display and desktop will look and perform differently than in Normal Mode. If the problem continues, we may need to analyze the memory dump to locate the root cause. For memory dump analysis, I would like to suggest that you contact Microsoft Product Support Services via telephone so that a dedicated Support Professional can assist with this request. Please be advised that contacting phone support will be a charged call. To obtain the phone numbers for specific technology request please take a look at the web site listed below. http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;PHONENUMBERS If you are outside the US please see http://support.microsoft.com for regional support phone numbers. You can also see the Four part series of Server Hangs from tech net blog by performance teamhttp://blogs.technet.com/askperf/archive/2007/09/25/troubleshooting-server-hangs-part-one.aspxThanks Syed Khairuddin
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 2nd, 2008 10:14am

Dear Syed Khairuddin Thanks for your suggestion. I have try the step 1, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" , then it is empty. So, all of my server's services are Microsoft Services. I didn't install any other tools or programs. About step 2, because it still my company's file server. Every time, when the server hangs. I must click the hardware reset Button, then the server is restart and running. With safe mode, user could not use the share folder. So I can't do that. Or you meet safe mode(with network)?
July 2nd, 2008 11:25am

Yes Please start your server in safemode with networking mode and monitor for some time.Thanks Syed Khairuddin
July 2nd, 2008 11:56am

Dear Syed Khairuddin Thanks for your suggestion. I will try step2 as soon as I can. If any one have other suggestions, please tell me. Thanks a lot. John
July 2nd, 2008 12:03pm

If ethernet have the power saving. Does this capability let the server hang?
July 3rd, 2008 7:02am

What antivirus are you running? I had a situation a few years ago with one version of Mcafee on a file server where the buffer overflow protection was hanging the server and tehn finally crashing it. The Mcafee thought the server was under attack when infact it was just network users trying to get to thier files. At the time we replaced it with Symantec but running recent tests on thier "Endpoint Security" I found similar behavior and downgraded to Symantec V 10.1.7. Anyway, Antivirus could be a problem for you. If you do have some, try to disable network scanning or any buffer overflow detection and only allow it to scan the local drives and user files.
July 4th, 2008 2:29am

Thanks, MG007 & Syed Khairuddin About antivirus, before I install any antivirus, the server was hanging. So, three months ago, I thought maybe the virus problem. I installed the trend antivirus program, and scaned the server. But the server still hang and crash. So, next month, I removed the antivirus program. This week, I found something about network adapters power saving capability. Because I didn't update the intel PRO/1000 driver. The PROSet is still the v10.3.32.2(from the driver CD). Does any one have an experience about the old PROSet power saving capability had the hanging problem with server 2003 R2? Now, I close the power saving with Intel network adapter in order to test if the compatiliby problem.
July 4th, 2008 4:30am

http://manuals.fujitsu-siemens.com/serverbooks/content/manuals/html/broadcom/netxtreme_ii/windrv.htm Does the network adapter with the power management options could hang the server 2003 R2? With old intel PROSet and check the [allow the computer to turn off this device to save power]. Does this can crash the server?
July 5th, 2008 6:10am

Today the server 2003 R2 hang again. So,the network adapter with the power management options is not the reason of the server hang. Now, I try to update the Intel adapter driver. Because I found the Server company's IntelPROSet is V10. I update to the PROSet V13. Maybe it is the problem. Dose any one have the same experience?
July 12th, 2008 4:42pm

Hello,yes I have the same issue with one of our customer server (HP ML 350 G5 x64). We are running Windows 2003 R2 SP2 on this server. The system is used as file & print server, dc, and virtual server host for a small remote office.All drivers are up to date. Randomly the systems stops serving any server service related services. File shares are not longer accessible, RDP or console Logon is not possible. But connecting via compmgmt.msc from another systems works perfect.So we are able to restart the workstation service and after that, we are able to logon via rdp or the console. The problem seems to be related to the server services of this machine. We are not able to restart the server service.It hangs during shutdown. So we have to reboot the whole server and everything works fine for a few hours andsometimes for a few days. I spend a lot of time to narrow down this problem with no great luck. I disabled "network chimney" because we had a lot of troubleswith this SP2 feature on a couple of machines (KB 948496 does this too) but this wasnt the trick in this case.SoI think aboutcompletely reinstalling that system, but this time without SP2.
July 13th, 2008 8:00pm

Dear MikeWhich the network adapter does the HP server use? And can you tell me this network adapter's driver version? Because In Taiwan, I and another member are trying if the network adapter driver's problem is or not. Thanks.
July 14th, 2008 12:08pm

Update to the Intel PROSet V13 is about ten days. I think it should be the driver's problem of intel network adapter. The old driver maybe have compatibility problem with server 2003 R2.
July 22nd, 2008 4:45am

It should be the old driver's problem. After I update network adapter driver is about 17 days. It is still working.
July 29th, 2008 5:44am

Hello,Same problem here - HP DL 380, win 2003 R2, server role - file server.File services seem to freeze up randomly, sometimes a few days sometimes after a week.Very odd, drivers are updated, no other issues.Mohan
August 7th, 2008 9:19am

Dear MohanThe network adapter's driver, you must update from the adapter's company like intel or BroadCom, not download from the server's company or driver CD. In Taiwan, I and another company's mis had update driver more than 30 days with different server and network adapter, and our server is still working. We thought that is the problem between 2003 R2 net use command and old network adapter's driver.Thnaks.http://forums.microsoft.com/Technet-CHT/ShowPost.aspx?PageIndex=1&SiteID=23&PageID=1&PostID=3561865#3561865
August 8th, 2008 5:21am

Thanks Jan,I updated the latest drivers from HP last week, looks okay so far. If it freezes up again, then i'll try the drivers from Broadcom.BestMohan
August 8th, 2008 6:16am

Dear Mohan Do you use the server 2003 r2 FSRM? Because FSRM is the different file server tool with the old server 2003. I think maybe FSRM with old network adapter driver cause the problem. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/932578
August 12th, 2008 12:10pm

Hang Again.
August 26th, 2008 11:30am

HiGuys,I have the same problem for atleast 2 differentset of server2003R2 SP2,It hangs intermittently,nic card use include linksys line100txv.5, boardcom... it still hang even after driver update... some hangs while they try to save excel file, and some custom program... epsecially those file or program that is constantly share by everybody.. think it is a sp2 issues. only a reboot will solve the problem temporary... just disable network threat protection & Proactive protection for Symantec Endpoint... Ken
August 27th, 2008 5:23am

Hi, Allcan you please enable Diagnostic logging , maybe you get a few error to trace the cuase of the problem that you facehttp://support.microsoft.com/kb/314980set level ,3 (Extensive) or 4 (Verbose)Hikmat Kanaan
August 27th, 2008 10:25am

Dear Hikmat Thanks your suggestion. My server 2003 R2 is not a DC. It is just a normally file server with FSRM. So, I can't find the regedit key of the NTDS/Diagnostic. The server hangs like Ken describing(.....while they try to save excel file, and some custom program... epsecially those file or program that is .....). This time, I remove all the NIC driver and Tool(like Proset). And just install the NIC driver without any other tool.Try and try angin....
August 27th, 2008 11:22am

Hello Mike, Ken and Mohan We have the same problem here. Two question for you. First, does your server 2003 R2 now is ok or not? Second, the server have the same problem, I must know does your server use the onboard raid (like intel ESB2 SATA RAID Controller) for mirror, not use another raid card? Without the answer I can't make sure is the RAID controller's problem or not. Thanks for your answer.
August 28th, 2008 5:53am

Hi Guys,both the server is not DC also. First Server runs on Intel Matrix Sotrage Raid (Hardware on board) while the other run on software raid 1 of Server 2003, Still monitoring both the server . I do not think it is the Raid issue, as for my case the same raid i had use it for many 2003 serverSP1 there is no issue.... This is the only two set that is having error and there are both SP2 that just newly install abt a month ago.... What is the anitvirus You gys using? Endoint?
August 28th, 2008 6:01am

Dear Ken I use the Trend officescan on the server. Before, I had try the officescan use on it or not, it didn't the antivirus's problem. Now I know it may not be the on board raid's problem. So, still to test the NIC's driver.
August 28th, 2008 6:19am

janhome said: Hang Again. Hi Jan,Yes, im using FRSM, but it has been a few weeks since the last time it froze. I did one other thing with my driver update - setup "User Profile Hive Cleanup Service" or UPHClean, available athttp://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=1B286E6D-8912-4E18-B570-42470E2F3582&displaylang=enGive that a try, apparently profiles stored by the file server tends to be a problem. BestMohan
August 28th, 2008 10:41am

9/5 Hang again. I will try the "User Profile Hive Cleanup Service". Thanks.
September 5th, 2008 6:36am

9/7 Hang again. So, "User Profile Hive Cleanup Service" is not the problem. I reset the network adapter and rejoin the domain. If it hang again and still without any error log, I will move the file server again. And this time, I will try the RAID card.
September 7th, 2008 12:11pm

Hi Jan,Mine's been up for 2 weeks now, no prob.Updated the drivers & installed the hive cleaner.Could it be the NIC's itself?BestMohan
September 8th, 2008 1:07pm

Dear Mohan I had change the server machine in 6/24. But it still have the same problem. Maybe the two machine's intel NIC not ok. BestJan
September 9th, 2008 5:47am

Hi Jan,How many users do you have connecting to the file server?Is this a DL380 as well?BestMohan
September 9th, 2008 6:21am

Dear Mohan It's a Tyan server with Tyan S5372-LH server board.http://www.tyan.com/product_board_detail.aspx?pid=585About 100 users connecting to the file server, and use net use command with share folders.Jan
September 9th, 2008 7:28am

Hi Guys,both the server still encounters hanging after 1 week+ , both server got 2 nic port, and one of them had been disable in bios. howmany network card your server have? Might try to reload the server with sp1, if it still continue to hang in order to isloate is that sp2 problem.Ken
September 11th, 2008 6:43pm

Dear Ken I have Four Tyan servers. Just this file server is tyan server install Server 2003 R2 with SP2 and just have two Network adapters. Others are running the server 2003 with sp2(not R2) and have three Network adapters. Those three machine didn't have any problem and never froze before. Some question, do you usually open the Computer Management and watch the Shared Folders > Sessions, and didn't close it? Do you use the R2's FSRM(File server resource management) for floder quota? Do you use the Intel Matrix Storage Manager? Last, which the server 's VGA chipset is? If the first two questions is yes. I think maybe the FSRM or R2's Management have some problem.
September 12th, 2008 4:41am

Dear Jan,It looks like a lot of people are having issues with file services on 03 R2, this thread that i came across seems to have helped some people, perhaps you could try what dragosd recommended. http://virtualizationreview.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?tid=3736&pn=1&Tpn=1BestMohan
September 12th, 2008 7:26am

Dear Jan,It looks like a lot of people are having issues with file services on 03 R2, this thread that i came across seems to have helped some people, perhaps you could try what dragosd recommended. http://virtualizationreview.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?tid=3736&pn=1&Tpn=1BestMohan
September 12th, 2008 7:30am

Thank Mohan I check HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters EnableTCPChimney EnableRSS EnableTCPA should I set all the key to 0(disable).Dose anyone know why I still check those key after update to R2 SP2?
September 12th, 2008 9:28am

Dear Ken Can you check the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters EnableTCPChimney EnableRSS EnableTCPADose the three keys is disable(0) or enable(1), Thanks.If your server have the enable setting, maybe this is our problem. Thnaks.
September 12th, 2008 10:11am

Hi Jan,FYI, on our servers it's enabled.If you go through the link i sent, its related toMS's Scalable Network Pack update. The updates seem to have caused more harm than good.BestMohan
September 15th, 2008 5:29am

Thanks I will try the Download the 948496 package now. Although I had install the KB948496 when the package released in march. But it seems not disable the TCP Chimney(KB948496 disable features in the Scalable Networking Pack). So, I'll install again and watch if it is ok or not. (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/948496)Hello Ken Can you check the three key of the TCP Chimney?
September 15th, 2008 9:38am

Hi Jan, Both the server had all the 3 keys disable "0"
September 15th, 2008 10:05am

Today(9/17), I install KB948496 again.(http://support.microsoft.com/kb/948496)After that, TCP Chimney and TCPA and RSS are disable. I don't know why TCPA is not disable next time I installed KB948496. And I Disable the RSS options in Network adapter's properties(In the Advanced) either. Intel PROSet default is Enable.
September 17th, 2008 6:35am

Still hang tonight.So, it is not TCP Chimney's problem.I will move the server again in 10/10. And this time I will use the RAID Card(Not the onboard Intel RAID).If anyone still have any suggestion, please tell me. Thanks.
September 25th, 2008 5:03pm

Hi Jan,Don't think it is because of the raid, as one of the server is using software raid only by server 2003 , it hangs also...
September 29th, 2008 11:15am

Hello every have the same problem's people, does your south bridge chipset is 63xxESB or ESB6321?
September 30th, 2008 12:10pm

It seems the south bridge I/O problem. So, I want to try a RAID Card.
October 2nd, 2008 9:49am

Hi everybody, we are still troubleshooting that problem on one server (2 month now).We opend a case by microsoft a few weeks ago but still no solution from these guys.We changed the mainboard (onboad nic) and today we will change the second nic.We tested several driver versions but also no luck.The FSRM maybe a interessting point to consider we will try this.Greetings to everybody!
October 8th, 2008 2:35pm

With the Intel ESB6321 south bridge, my server set the ESB2 RAID controller and two Intel Pro/1000 EB network adapters embedded in the south bridge. So, if your network adapter is not embedded in the south bridge, like other's server used BroadCom adapter. Then, when you update the network adapter driver, your server might OK. But maybe if your raid controller and network adapter are embedded in the south bridge, some unknow I/O loading's problem with the OS-server 2003 R2 will freeze your server. So, the server hardware company suggest us to use a RAID Card to set the HD Raid without use the south bridge RAID Controller. Maybe it's my server's problem.
October 13th, 2008 9:30am

10/10 I had add a RAID Card for the server, I think maybe the reason is... If your server is like Intel ESB6321 south bridge(unsure other chipset had the same problem or not) + Intel Onboard ESB2 Raid Controller also in south bridge+ Intel Pro/1000 EB NIC + Server 2003 R2 file server, when update all drivers, Server still hang or freeze. I guess it because south bridge simulated RAID controller and run for NIC(did not have it's own chipset). When some unknow I/O problem appear, then server is no response. Intel think the onboard RAID controller is not the standard solution for the RAID Control. If your server is like Intel xxxxxx south bridge(unsure other chipset had the same problem or not) + Intel Onboard xxxx Raid Controller also in south bridge + BroadCom adapter NIC + Server 2003 R2 file server, because BroadCom adapter have it's own chipset, update the BroadCom driver, then OK.Maybe is. I still observe the server.
October 18th, 2008 5:27am

Hi everybody,we found the solution in our case. The cause was the Kaspersky AntiVirus Build6.0.2.690.Afteruninstalling the software the server works pretty well.In an earlier state of the troubleshooting we disabled the Kaspersky AV but this was not enough.The software must completely uninstalled.After two weeks without any problems we installed the Version 6.0.3.837. of the Kaspersky AntiVirus.This was three days ago and since than the server is still stable.Maybe that helps someone else having that issue.Greetings!
November 21st, 2008 1:54am

Hi janhome, did this problem get resolved? We are having same issue. Opened case with Microsoft with not results.
January 27th, 2009 9:22pm

Yes, after add a RAID card. It didn't happened again.
February 4th, 2009 6:33am

Himike,Recently my HP Proliant DL380 G5 witch execute SBS 2003 R2 (with last drivers and firmwares) freeze time to time, and i am not able to detect the source of the problem. The Anti-virus I am using is Kaspersky Build 6.0.3.837. So, did you experienced some troubles since you have installed the Kaspersky Build6.0.3.837 ?regards
February 14th, 2009 4:07pm

Hello,For information, I have uninstalled Kaspersky Build6.0.3.837, and the server works fine until now, I think and confirm my idea that a recent update from microsoft is incompatible with Kasperky !My server seems to work fine now...Regards
February 15th, 2009 6:08pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics