Server 2003 R2 and 2008 server DFSR question
I am working with two servers, a 2003 R2 and 2008 server. FRS and file replication was previously setup and working. I am migrating from FRS for user folders to DFSR. So far I have disabled replication in FRS, verified the name space in the new DFS Management console (I did install DFS in Windows components), I have added the second server (2008) as another name space server, setup replication between both servers and made sure all that is working. I have not published anything or shared anything on the second server. Nornally the share is accessed by \\domain_name\share_name. My question is that I can do \\2008_server_name\share_name(as it is shared on the 2003 server) allows me to see the DFSR files. I have not published or shared anything except for on the original 2003 server. Is this normal?? On the 2008 server the folder does not show as shared under the folder properties. Some info and or documentation for this behaviour would be appreciated. Thanks
April 20th, 2010 10:06pm

Anyone have any ideas ?????
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 22nd, 2010 12:36am

Hi David, When add a namespace server to DFS, it will provide options to setup "Shared folder permissions". This step will share the folder, but it should display as Shared in folder properties. Please go to the Windows 2008 system, open CMD, run "net share sharename=Drive:path". Here Drive:path is the path of the DFS folder. You should receive a message "sharename was shared successfully" or "The name has already been shared". This can help us confirm if it is shared or not. In order to remove the share, we can run the command "net share drive:path /delete".
April 22nd, 2010 4:47am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics