Server 2003 R2 Hang During Reboot
We've had this problem for quite some time now. Whenever any of our Windows 2003 R2 servers are rebooted via any automatic means they hang while shutting down. This primarily includes automatic reboots initiated by windows updates but seems to affect any reboot that is unattended. When we find the problem the server is at the following state: - replies to pings - monitor shows gray windows desktop background nothing else - can remote in via rdp and see same gray screen; login box never appears - pressing any key on the physical keyboard will immediately release the computer and it finishes the reboot cycle; pressing key via RDP or ILO does not have same effect There is no error logged in the event viewer. I always have believed that there was something about our servers either the way we loaded them or something in our GP that was causing this. However, a vendor has sent us two servers that are completely seperate from our network; that they loaded that exhibt the same issue. I have searched the internet over and found very few articles mentioning this issue. The ones I have found mention removing the GP that bypasses ctr+alt+delete screen on login. The logic stated was the windows will not shutdown if a login box is showing on the console. I'm not sure that I believed that but I tried it and had no luck. One common thread among our servers and theirs is that we use HP servers; however I have personally seen the same issue on servers we had prior that were no name white box intel servers. The issue was common on those as well; when were primarily using them. Any help would be appericated. If I have neglected to include some important information please let me know. I have been working on this issue so long I may have taken something as given that is not obvious to others.
August 30th, 2010 4:39pm

Hi, what services are running on those servers ?Edoardo Benussi - Microsoft MVP Management Infrastructure - Systems Administration https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/Profile/Benussi Windows Server Italian Forum Moderator edo[at]mvps[dot]org
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 30th, 2010 5:45pm

I'd try a diagnostic startup (msconfig) ================= 1) Click the Start Button type "msconfig" (without quotation marks) in the Run box, and then press Enter. Note: If prompted, please click Continue on the User Account Control (UAC) window. 2) Click the "Services" tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click "Disable All" (if it is not gray). 3) Click the "Startup" tab, click "Disable All" and click "OK". Then, shutdown/restart the computer and try to restart again to see if the hang condition persists. Regards, Dave Patrick .... Microsoft Certified Professional -Microsoft MVP [Windows]
August 30th, 2010 5:56pm

Most are basic site servers running AD(GC) with DNS / DHCP and some file/print sharing. I have had the same issue on servers running ISA 2004 standard and no additional services.
August 30th, 2010 6:00pm

We've had this problem for quite some time now. Whenever any of our Windows 2003 R2 servers are rebooted via any automatic means they hang while shutting down. this means that if they are rebooted manually the problem don't happen ?Edoardo Benussi - Microsoft MVP Management Infrastructure - Systems Administration https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/Profile/Benussi Windows Server Italian Forum Moderator edo[at]mvps[dot]org
August 30th, 2010 6:11pm

That's correct. The problem appears only when an update takes place automatically. If I remote in and initate an update the server will reboot normally. This also makes the problem very difficult to diagnose. Since there are no methods to create the issue manually you have to try something and wait till the next update filters down to see if it works or not. The msconfig entry would be an option except that these are production servers and disabling the services until the next update isn't feasible. Here's a scenario that might help to... We got 15 new servers in HP ML350's. I stacked them all on cart and rolled them in to our project room. Connected them all to the network and loaded them each with 15 cd's of Windows Server 2003 R2. Once they were setup I loaded SP2 on them serially. As I progressed through them it was the end of the day so I went home. When I came back in the next morning several of the ones I'd loaded SP2 on were hung on the gray screen. This was before any additional software or services had been loaded. Just Windows 2003 R2 then HP Smart Start 7.8 or 8.0 then SP2. I don't believe that I have ever seen the issue on a 2003 w/o SP2 but I would not say that conclusively.
August 30th, 2010 9:05pm

I'd download and install the latest firmware 2010.5.15 and support pack 8.5 http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=3884315&prodNameId=3884316&swEnvOID=1005&swLang=13&mode=2&taskId=135&swItem=MTX-425b9099309f44fdb93c7df703 http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=3884315&prodNameId=3884316&swEnvOID=1005&swLang=13&mode=2&taskId=135&swItem=MTX-8af7477a4ede41c89192a66d9c Regards, Dave Patrick .... Microsoft Certified Professional -Microsoft MVP [Windows]
August 30th, 2010 9:35pm

This has been an issue for quite some time. So long in fact we've developed our update procedures around the problem. I agree that's usually a good path but there has to be more going on here... There are hundreds of thousands of DL380's and ML350 servers deployed using the firmware and drivers I have and there are virtually no reports on the internet of this issue. I find it hard to believe that the updates will fix it; but with that said I didn't realize that 8.5 was out. Most of my servers are now running 8.3.
August 30th, 2010 9:43pm

I agree, probably won't fix it. Sounds like some hung service. You might have to setup some remote monitoring to figure this out. I had a number of new DL380 that would stop at the white proliant screen when restarted. New firmware did fix this. I couldn't find mention of this at hp or any other sites. Regards, Dave Patrick .... Microsoft Certified Professional -Microsoft MVP [Windows]
August 30th, 2010 9:52pm

Another thought... When the computer is in the hung state you can ping and RDP it but you cannot remote manage it to see if any services are hung or the event log. ILO into the server yeilds a gray background and no way past it without using the restart button in ilo.
August 30th, 2010 10:58pm

Given it happens to ALL of your servers and no one elses its got to be something with the hardware or something that's installed on them. I'd try the firmware / support pack updates and see how it goes. Regards, Dave Patrick .... Microsoft Certified Professional -Microsoft MVP [Windows]
August 30th, 2010 11:07pm

we are (still) experiencing the same issue (bl460g1 blades) resulting in gray screens at patch rounds. Did you allready find a cause or resolution to the problem?
August 24th, 2011 9:08am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics