Server 2003 R2 (Fully updated) - Issues with several services shutting down every 5-10 minutes
I have two domain controllers in my domain, a SBS2003 and a Win2k3R2 Std servers. I noticed yesterday that the Win2k3 server is stopping the following services every now and then: Computer Browser Cryptographic Services Logical Disk Manager Server Due the services stopping this is causing no end of problems on the domain. I found an article which described basically what was happening and suggested it was something to do with disabling the Windows firewall service. The article mentioned a hotfix to address the issue but now that I'm looking into the issue again I'm unable to track down the exact article. Does anyone know whats happening here? Better still, does anyone know of the article I'm speaking about?
October 14th, 2010 8:32am

I did eventually find the article I was thinking off but it mentions WinXP SP2 and also says that if applicable i'd be getting Error 7023 in the system log (which i'm not). http://www.computing.net/answers/windows-xp/computer-browser-service-stops/129349.html
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
October 14th, 2010 8:53am

Additional info, I was sitting logged on to the Win2k3 server monitoring the services, after 2 hours the services remained so logged off, as soon as I did so the services then stopped. If I simply close (not log off) the RDP session the services continue to run.
October 14th, 2010 9:26am

I have applied the hotfix described in (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/932762) KB article. Will let you know if this resolved the issue.
October 14th, 2010 9:46am

No joy after hotfix, still doing it. Anyone got any idea of what else to try?
October 14th, 2010 12:47pm

What does Event Viewer tell you? Any errors sticking out when the services fail? Also, take a look Performance settings under System Properties, set it to "Background Services" if not already selected.
October 14th, 2010 1:29pm

Hi, For further investigation, could you please collect the suspect event log from the Windows Server 2003 server? You can also collect the MPS report from the server which contains the event log copy. Microsoft Product Support's Reporting Tools http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=cebf3c7c-7ca5-408f-88b7-f9c79b7306c0&displaylang=en
October 15th, 2010 3:18am

Hello, I'd like to make an observation to this, as I have the same problem. However, on top on this problem, if I go to www.microsoft.com for example, I cannot get to the website. And microsoft domain is not the only one. After further investigation, I have discovered a virus - Confiker. This virus blocks access to windows updates, microsoft domain, and other domains. I believe it is connected to this problem with the servives. I am using microsoft tool to remove it, and everything comes back to normal. I know it's an old post, but maybe it will help somebody.
June 5th, 2011 7:15am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics