Server 2003 Licencing DILEMA
* U.S. readers please substitute licensing for licencing (UK English)! ;-) I have a dilema, and hope somebody out there can cast me a rescue line. I perform ad-hoc IT support for a relative's business. Back in 2004/5 I installed Windows Server 2003, using the key provided by the EOM vendor, I also purchased and installed a further 5 CALs on the server. The server has been working fine for a number of years, but like us all, it is starting to show signs of age. I have bought a new hardware solution for it and intend to do an in-place (hardware only) migration of this server. I am currently trying to set up the new hardware with the existing install DVD of Windows Server 2003, and want to bring the new hardware server up to date before migrating the PDC etc. to the new hardware, demoting the old hardware server and removing it from the tree. I am at the stage where the install DVD is asking for the Server 2003 key. We have searched high and low in the office and cannot locate this key anywhere. Is there a method of extracting an 'export' file that contains the validated keys for the Server 2003 and the 5 extra CALs, and 'importing' it into the new hardware? I do realise that this could be fraught with security issues, but at the moment, I am desperate and it's the only scenario that I can think of working. Is there a utility to somehow 'reconvert' the currently installed key from the currently running server? Is there any way of by-passing the Server 2003 key during the install - like I can do if installing Windows 7 on a PC, just to give me enough time to get the software up to date before committing the new hardware into the field? Desperately seeking a solution. Cheers, Steve Kirby, Melbourne, AUSTRALIA.
December 3rd, 2009 2:55am

Hi,As i known, the OEM license come with hardware and also die with hardware too, can't transfer to use with other new.Thana
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
December 3rd, 2009 4:28am

Hi, For licensing questions, I suggest contacting your Australia Microsoft Customer for detailed information. http://www.microsoft.com/worldwide/phone/contact.aspx?country=Australia Tim Quan - MSFT
December 3rd, 2009 5:35am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics