Server 2003 Keyboard works in bios stops resonding in OS
I have a 2003 server IBM x3200 m2. I can RDP into the server. At the console I can use the keyboard "USB no Ps2 ports on x3200m2" in the bios and I can press F8 to go to safe mode. However as soon as the OS loads the keyboard stops responding even in safe mode. Remotely I have removed all hidden devices, USB devises and HID devices. When customer plugs keyboard back in I can see the HID device install itself and the usb device install. There are no errors pertaining to this in event log that I can find. Any Ideas Also tried running sfc /scannow only to be reminded that it can only be ran from the console
May 10th, 2011 10:15am

I have had similar problem with Dell computer. I had PS/2 to USB adapter for keyboard and mouse, becaus I use PS/2 switch. I found i bit weird behavior. Resolution was simple. I have found that I should not move with mouse during computer startup. Try to not touch mouse until the logon window appears. My be not your case, but give it a try.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 10th, 2011 3:37pm

Unfortunately that is not the case here. Wish it was.
May 11th, 2011 4:29pm

1. If you are in RDP session, are there any traces in event logs or device manager > keyboard? 2. Is this new installation or older one? If it is older installation, have you instal any device or program that can compete for resources with keyboard.... 3. Console means direct connection of keyboard or switched keyboard (KVM)? Any test with different keyboard? 4. Any hint from the hw vendor?
May 12th, 2011 2:18am

I have gone through system and application logs in event viewer and found no errors or warnings having to do with the Keyboard. This is an older install probably 2 years old never any problems till now. No new hardware or software has been installed on the system. Tested with a keyboard off of one of the Wyse terminals same problem. I had the customer unplug the KB From a command line I ran: set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1 start devmgmt.msc Viewed hidden devices and removed every hidden device on the system I also removed all usb devices and root hubs. When the customer plugged the KB back in it installs in device manager as it should. So far no help from IBM since it appears to be an OS/registry problem.
May 12th, 2011 10:06am

Can't believe no one has an answer or idea to this. Not looking forward to maing a 12 hour rond trip drive to do an OS repair.
May 16th, 2011 10:23am

bump
May 19th, 2011 3:43pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics