Server 2003 Active Directory/DNS replication errors:
I have two Sever 2003 Standard Domain Controlers that also run DNS. One of them is giving users errors when trying to connect, for example when I type in \\SERVER at a command I get this: \\SERVER is not accessable. You might not have network permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions. Logon Failure: The Target account name is Incorrect. On the Server's security log I get a message that says 'Unknown user name or bad password.' If I try connecting by IP I get in with no problem. If I ping the server by name I get a response. If I look at the event viewer on the server there are alot of File Replication errors and DNS errors saying The File Replication service cannot replicate with the other DC. DNS errors in event viewer say DNS cannot contact active directory, and the security log has a lot of different entrys saying Unknown User name or bad password. I am not sure where to start with this, How can I tell which Server is causing the problem and what to do? thanks, Brian
May 8th, 2013 4:31pm

Hello Vuotto, I suggest to start investigation from Event Viewer by analyzing each error event. Links: File Replication Service (FRS) - Microsoft Support KB925633 - You cannot replicate files from a Windows Server 2003-based domain controller and events are logged in the File Replication Service log.DNS Errors - TechNet Library Troubleshooting Active DirectoryRelated DNS Problems To check Active Directory synchronization (between two DCs), use Repadmin tool: Microsoft Library Repadmin /showrepl and Repadmin Examples. Bye, Luca Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights. | Whenever you see a helpful reply, click on "Vote As Helpful" & click on "Mark As Answer" if a post answers your question.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 8th, 2013 5:43pm

Thanks for the help. The Primary DNS server has some errors in the event viewer about DNS and I think that may be the root of the problem. I'm going to start there. Evenit ID 4015 : The DNS server has encountered a critical error from the Active Directory. Check that the Active Directory is functioning properly. The extended error debug information (which may be empty) is "000020EF: SvcErr: DSID-02080490, problem 5012 (DIR_ERROR), data -1414". The event data contains the error. Thanks, Brian
May 9th, 2013 12:41pm

It was a problem wit WINS. WINS had the incorrect IP for the server but DNS had the correct IP. It's working now, thanks for the help. Brian Thanks, Brian
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 13th, 2013 9:51pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics