Server 2003 - Win7 64bit Workstation Slow To Access Shares and Transfer of Files after Factory Disk Rebuild.
I have an issue here that's kicking my butt and I would appreciate any help or suggestions that anyone can offer. I have Server 2003 R2 with all of the latest service packs, updates, etc... loaded as of this post - this is SRV1. I have an HP Z400 workstation running WIN7 64 Bit - factory loaded OS (we will call this SYS1). I have another exact Z400 (a copy of Sys1) that I have completely rebuilt using the factory provided discs. Both SYS1 and SYS2 were added to the domain and SYS1 and SYS2 perform and work well when accessing shares and transferring files to ALL SERVERS IN MY DOMAIN EXCEPT FOR SRV1. This is where it gets frustrating. SYS1 is out of the box and loaded at the factory and the access to SRV1 if flawless, very fast, and works well. ONLY when I rebuild the machine using the rebuild discs as I did with SYS2 do I have a problem. The problem is that after the rebuild, access to SRV1 by SYS2 is extremely slow - when opening shares on SRV1 the loading of the file list scans very slowly in the progress bar - everything is very slow. Downloading of a file from SRV1 to SYS2 - 5Mb file would take over 2 hours. I have isolated SRV1, SYS1, and SYS2 onto the same switch, replaced cables, and eliminated as much distance between the servers as I can. I have removed SYS2 from the domain, totall renamed the computer, deleted the old computer records from AD, and then re-added it to the domain and the problem still exists. Transfer from SYS2 to any other server on my NET is fast and flawless. SYS1 and SYS2 have exactly the same Windows updates and drivers including the exact same NIC driver and versions of other related items. On SYS2 I have turned OFF ALL UAC and Firewall (note both are on on SYS1). I am logging into the domain using ADMINISTRATOR. My next steps will be to 1) remove SRV1 from the domain, purge the records, and re-add it to the domain 2) remove NIC teaming even though it is configured in failover mode 3) repair the Server OS and there may be an issue with the TCP stack and auto tuning. Please let me know if you need any further information and I will be quick to respond. Thanks in advance for any help. Jim
June 23rd, 2011 9:01pm

Hi, Please have a look at the KB article below to check whether it helps: Your system stops responding, you experience slow file server performance, or delays occur when you work with files that are located on a file server http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822219 Besides, I would like to suggest you troubleshoot the issue in clean boot mode. Refer to the link below: How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista or in Windows 7 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135 I hope the suggestions can be helpful. Regards, Cecilia Zhou -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 24th, 2011 1:19pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics