Server 2003 - Cannot ping specific machine
Hi, The issue I have right now is that my server cannot ping two machine (either by name or by IP)... but can ping any other devices on the network. The two servers are pingnable from other servers (same or different IP range) and workstation. And the two machine that cannot be ping, they can ping my server. Everything happen suddenly... one of the server is not pingnable since 2:00AM this morning and no one is at the office during that time. The server is question is a Windows Server 2003 SP2 with all the latest patch installed on it. And it's our monitoring server with What's Up Gold installed on it. So right now it's reporting those two server as being down because Ping doesn't work. So far we have tried to Reboot the server, Clear the ARP cache, Delete the route table, Disable the local firewall, make sure everything is Ok in the network firewall and even Create more permissive rules in the firewall for that server. Also when doing a Tracert on the two server there's not even one hop. A counter as been added to the rules in the firewall and the Ping doesn't reach the network firewall (0 traffic). So we are out of idea on that issue... Maybe you could point us in a new direction to try and fix the issue. Thank you, Martin L.
September 2nd, 2010 4:24pm

have you ipconfig /flushdns on the server in question?Roy Mayo | MCSE
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 2nd, 2010 4:37pm

Have you verified to see if there are any issues on the Switch port? If the server is connected to a managed switch, log in and take a look if there are any errors reported on the port. I would also check the server's arp cache--> arp -a Is the server on the same segment as the machines that it cannot ping? if so, check to see if the MACs are listed in the arp cache. Your computer will NOT be able send any packets to these two systems if it cannot obtain their MAC addresses for delivery. Also, you verified that these two machines allow ICMP packets through their local firewalls? Are you able to access these two machines by other means to verify network connectivity such as \\computerName? Scoping this problem into exactly what you can and cannot do would be helpful.Visit: anITKB.com, an IT Knowledge Base.
September 2nd, 2010 5:01pm

Hi, The two server are not in the same IP range and the firewall between each range seems to be Ok as all the other server/desktop can ping those servers. But for a test a mor permissive rule as been added in the firewall for my server. So I've tried the Ipconfig /flushdns... but before that the name resolution was not the issue. I tried to add the servers in the ARP table as a static entry. The local firewall is disable on all the servers and I can reach the servers using \\servername\c$. Also my monitoring application can see that services are running and also any snmp stuff. Thank you, Martin L.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 2nd, 2010 5:47pm

Ok, so lets take this a step down for a moment. When you ping from the server, you have ping the machines by IP? If so, EXACTLY what is the ICMP error message you received? After you tried to PING, what do the Firewall logs show? DROP or ACCEPT?Visit: anITKB.com, an IT Knowledge Base.
September 2nd, 2010 6:19pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics