Server 2003; Limited or No Connectivity; Connected to Router via Ethernet
I installed Windows Server 2003 R2 over Windows XP and immediately after installing the OS I have limited or no connectivity regardless of being directly connected or behind a router. It will not renew the IP address. I turned off the Security component for IE and still nothing.
February 26th, 2011 7:26pm

Did you install the mobo chipset? This will allow you to use the hardware that is integrated into system board. Regards, Dave Patrick .... Microsoft Certified Professional Microsoft MVP [Windows]
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
February 26th, 2011 7:32pm

Well I am not sure about reinstalling the mobo software because it was a Windows 98 machine so many of the CD are out of the question and the mobo seems fine. All drivers that go with it seemed functional up to XP and still do now. That includes the network card driver.
February 26th, 2011 7:37pm

That's a bit old but if the XP chipset from the manufaturer worked then it might also work for server 2003. It might be easier to just buy a $15 NIC card. http://www.windowsservercatalog.com/ Regards, Dave Patrick .... Microsoft Certified Professional Microsoft MVP [Windows]
February 26th, 2011 7:41pm

I can replace things but I also installed Server 2003 on a laptop to double check the problem existed there too and it did when connected directly to the wall. Dont ask my why I choose a laptop. So I guess what I am saying is I want to mess around with the settings till it works because I will probably learn something and that seems to be where the problem is.
February 26th, 2011 7:42pm

Thats good and all to replace things but I also installed Server 2003 on a laptop to double check the problem existed there too and it did when connected directly to the wall. Dont ask my why I choose a laptop. So I guess what I am saying is I want to mess around with the settings till it works because I will probably learn something and that seems to be where the problem is.
February 26th, 2011 7:46pm

Ok, sounds good. Regards, Dave Patrick .... Microsoft Certified Professional Microsoft MVP [Windows]
February 26th, 2011 7:48pm

Anyone have an idea?
February 26th, 2011 10:51pm

Please give the static ip address and check the behaviour ? and also change the duplex settings randomly from the advanced configrations in the network settings please do check and repoer back. Thankshttp://www.virmansec.com/blogs/skhairuddin
February 28th, 2011 2:42am

Well I can not give it a static IP address. I do not know how to check duplex setting. Isn't there just a setting in the OS for any Server OS, Linux or Microsoft, that causes it to not obtain Internet out of the box that you have to tweak? I am looking for that. I assume with a static IP address a server OS would work fine but in this case I want to have a server computer behind a router. And I already set up a rule for port forwarding in the router so I could set that up if that was a solution, I just need some steps on the computer side. I already disabled the security in IE and I set it to obtain automatically.
March 6th, 2011 11:54am

Is this a connection at home? Cable, dsl, ??? Sounds like you need to power-cycle your "modem" if it's not leasing an IP address when you are directly connected to it when it's running in bridge mode.Matt W. CCNP, CCDA, CCNA-S, RHCT, MCSE, MCSA, MCP+I, A+
March 6th, 2011 12:33pm

Well I already did a reset to the router. This connection is a home. FiOS.
March 6th, 2011 1:31pm

Well I already did a reset to the router. This connection is at home. FiOS.
March 6th, 2011 1:33pm

Have you tried to reinstalling the NIC Driver? I had a similar problem with an old HP Computer, even though the driver installed it would not function correctly.
March 6th, 2011 8:45pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics