Server 2003-Server 2008 Deployment Issues/ERRORS
I'm currenltyin the process of moving our Primary DC to a new Server Hardware with Server 2008 installed with the same IP as the previous Primary DC.So far, I already transfered the FSMO roles from the old DC to the new DC using Ntdsutil.exe tool.Then demoted the old DC and have taken it offline.I havealso have switched the primary DC's IPto the old DC's IP address.On my secondary DC which is running Server 2008 also, I have run replmon to check the fmso roles which all point to the new primary DC.My current issues are:But when I open the Schema Master through MMC and check the operations master, I have: "Current schema master (offline)" ERRORWhen I run dcdiag, I get the following errors: Testing server: Default-First-Site\DC1Starting test: ConnectivityThe host 44dd7cb1-0223-4864-b7bb-4b8c05d914cd._msdcs.domain.local could not be resolved to an IP address. Check the DNS server, DHCP, server name etc...........................DC1 failed test connectivityDoing Primary testsTesting server: Defailt-First-Site\DC1Skipping all tests, because server DC1 is not responding to directory service requests.When creating new users in Active Directory, GPOs do not get enforced.GPOs in general, I am not able to edit them, giving me a permission error although I am a domain admin.Things I have tried to resolve this issue:I have done alot of research and have already tried to seize the schema master role to the Primary DC again.I have run the Metadata cleanup and deleted the old primary DC.I have also deleted all traces of the old primary DC in the DNS.Note:The server is pointed to a DC that is working fine, though it doesn't even see it in active directory. Meaning Users and Computers, or while searching to connect to a DC in sites and services. I have manually entered it in the sick DC's DNS.The well working DC is seeing the ill working DC but not visa-versa.The netshares are all there on both DCsI am currently running in active-directory integrated, but am wondering if I change it to a secondary and change the well-working DC toprimary, will all the well working AD datareplicated over and fix thesick DC?Anyone have any ideas or solutions that would help?I would REALLY appreciate it!Thanks in advance!
January 16th, 2009 5:50am

Hi,It is hard to help without sitting in front of the computer. I am guessing that your issue is with DNS. That does seem to be the culprit as it usually is.That error you listed had seems to have a DNSfolder namelisted? Have you looked for that DNS entry in DNS?The IP of the server being the same really shouldn't have caused this issue. I have changed my IP address about 6 times on my servers and have never had an issue.Is the new Primary DC the same name as the previous Primary DC? Have you run ipconfig /flushdns on ALL the servers. I even recommend running it on all the workstations too.Have you tried installing DNS on the Backup server instead and uninstalling and reinstalling on the Primary? I have DNS Active Directory Integrated on 2 of my servers.I have upgraded my DC's many times since DNS and Windows 2000 but always transfering the 5 roles and removing them from the Domain has done the trick.Good LuckLaralforbes
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
January 16th, 2009 8:21am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics