Server 2000 Domain Controller Reinstall
I have a customer that is running Windows 2000 Server in a single server environment. I know this is EOL, and I have been begging them to order a new server, and migrate everything over to it. On this server, it is a Domain Controller, it has a SQL server running on it, and it has Exchange running on it. It also (of corse) has DNS, AD, etc. etc. etc. They had to reboot it several times today, and the last time they rebooted it, it is now coming up with "Windows 2000 could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt \WINNT\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM. I have a current backup (last night) of the Exchange Database. I think we can recover from that. We do not have a current backup of the entire system, including the AD. I have a backup of a few weeks ago. If I attmpt a re-install over the existing Windows 2000 Server install, will I lose the AD, and because of that, will I lose the Exchange? I do need to at least retrieve the SQL database (assuming it is in tact). I did not design and/or install this system originally, but the boot drive is on a RAID 5 3 Drive array, which is also partitioned off for a data drive as well. The Exchange database is actually on the data (2nd logicical) drive. The SQL database is (I believe) on the boot (1st logical) drive. We are ordering a new server tomorrow, but in the mean time, I would like to get this one back up and running. When I did a consistency check on the RAID, it reported that it did correct some inconsistencies, but when I rebooted, I get the same error. Any help would be much appreciated.
February 4th, 2011 9:21am

Thank you SOOOOOOOOOOOO much! You just saved me about 300 hours of work! It was EXACTLY the error messgae on the first link you sent. I did a search on it, but for some reason, that one did not come up.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
February 4th, 2011 7:55pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics