Server 08 DCpromo Adprep /forestprep on 03 DC
I have run the Adprep /forestprep cmd from the 08 folder on the 03 DC & successfully upgraded the schema from 30 to 44. Adprep successfully set the forest Update revision attribute to 2 on object CN=ActiveDirectoryUpdate,CN=ForestUpdates,CN=Configuration,DC=HDH,DC=local. [Status/Consequence] Adprep updates the forest Update revision attribute in order to mark the forest as prepared. Adprep is continuing and will now prepare the forest. Adprep successfully updated the forest-wide information.When I run DCPromo on the 08 box it fails"To install a domain controller into this Active Directory forest, you must first perpare the forest using "adprep/forestprep". The Adprep utility is available on the Windows Server 2008 installation media in the Windows\sources\adprep folder". SSPI Bind succeededCurrent Schema Version is 44ERROR: Cannot obtain schema version to upgrade to: 1What am I missing?Thanks for the assistance.Clindell
February 10th, 2010 10:10pm

Hello ClindellYou will need to also run adprep /domainprepUse the same procedure you use above and run adprep /domainprepthis should resolve your current issueIsaac Oben MCITP:EA, MCSE
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
February 10th, 2010 10:27pm

Isaac,Thanks, I actaully just ran it before reading your response and it failed.Adprep detected that the domain is not in native mode [Status/Consequence] Adprep has stopped without making changes. [User Action] Configure the domain to run in native mode and re-run domainprepWe have a 2K file server so I cannot go native yet I believe, what are my options?We do plan on upgrading the 2k box in 11 days, do I need to update it then go native?Thanks
February 10th, 2010 10:46pm

HelloSince going from Mixed to Native is not reversible, I urge you to properly weigh your options here.Do you have any NT Domain Controllers, because that is the only reason you may want to stay at Mixed mode.What are you upgrading your W2K boxes to in 11 days?This KB might also helphttp://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc960691.aspx Isaac Oben MCITP:EA, MCSE
February 10th, 2010 11:00pm

Isaac,Yeah I know it is not reversible. No old legacy DC's, we have two 2003 DC's. The 2k box is only a file server and getting upgraded to allow for better control and functionality with Volume Shadow Copy Service which will work better with our backups.Once I determined that going native 2003 is specifically dependent on all DC's being at 2003 and we have none older it was an easy choice.I hit the button and was successful. After 30 minutes I tried rerunning DCpromo on the 08 box but it is still failing.Any ideas?
February 10th, 2010 11:30pm

Did you raised to Native mode in both forest and domain functional level?Was the adprep /domainprep successful as well? Is the error still the same as above?Isaac Oben MCITP:EA, MCSE
February 10th, 2010 11:36pm

Hello-Make sure you ran the adprep /domainprep on the infrastructure master-check your adprep logs for specific errors and post:C:\WINDOWS\debug\adprep\logs-Make sure replication is working properly in your domain: runthis command repadmin /showreps and look for any errors.-Veirfy that adprep /domainprep was successfull and have been replicated, Using adsiedit.msc, go to CN=ActiveDirectoryUpdate,CN=DomainUpdates,CN=System,DC=<Some Domain> Right click properties and look Revision attribute which should be 3verify that adprep /forestprep was successful and have been replicated, Using adsiedit.msc, go to CN=Windows2008Update,CN=ForestUpdates,CN=Configuration,DC=<Forest RootDomain>Right click properties and look ObjectVersion attribute which should be 44Isaac Oben MCITP:EA, MCSE
February 10th, 2010 11:58pm

Isaac, The forest and domain functional levels are Windows 2003 I ran the adprep /domainprep and it was fine. 08 barfed and wanted the adprep /rodcprep. Now I can get through the initial setup, however not wanting to dedicate hours to RTFM I need to answer the last few questions.There is currently 1 DNS server that is registered as an authoritative name server for this domain. A domain controller running Windows Server 2008 could not be located in this domain. To install a read-only domain controller, the domain must have a domain controller running Windows Server 2008.I didn't want to add a RODC. The Purpose of this DC is to get DFS off the 2nd DC we have that was setup very poorly and tehn reinstall 03 to get it back on the domain without the problems it has.I have 2 check boxes, 1 for making it a DNS server, the other for making it a GC.I really don't want to make it a GC but I want to fail over the DNS and DHCP from our original DC/GC.What's your opinion?
February 11th, 2010 12:20am

Clindell,I think you should have a normal DC and not a RODC because of the reason you gave.I will make it a GC and also install DNS as well. Since you have a single Domain, there will be no prob making it a GC. This might be your best option to make GC and DNS, because this w2k8 dc will now also act as an alternate, just incase the W2k3 is down or when you need to reinstall the w2k3 server Isaac Oben MCITP:EA, MCSE
February 11th, 2010 12:42am

Thanks Isaac,I read this below and seems that on smaller domains multiple GC's will be fine. In large organizations with lots of Exchange mailboxes, Global Catalog server could start working VERY hard. Microsoft recommends having one Global Catalog Server for every four mailbox servers. If you have a single site, single domain network, then it is safe to designate all of your domain controllers to act as Global Catalog servers. Becouse all of the domain controllers contain full copies of the Active Directory you will not get any performance problems by having multiple Global Catalog servers will be minimal.For the DC's it seems that AD intigrated is the way to go so if one drops any others will pick up the slack.I am new here and this place has been limping along for several years due to poor implementation from a shoddy contractor years ago. I am in the process of getting the failovers and redundancies working, there are none currently!I ran DCPromo and completed the updates and restarted and all is well! :)Thanks,Clindell
February 11th, 2010 1:37am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics