Server 03 DHCP with One NIC
Our current network configuration has a NETGEAR router providing IP address, but using the server for DNS. Our server has only ONE network card that goes into the netgear router. My questions is there a way for Server 2003 to provide DHCP and DNS and still be able to access the internet? (Internet comes in via the INTERNET port on the router.) We would still like to be able to use the netgear as a firewall. Just move DHCP from it to the server.------------------- Reitzel Technology www.reitzeltechnology.com
October 24th, 2010 9:01pm

Yes, but you will need to disable the DHCP server on the Netgear. (You cannot have two DHCP servers running in the same network). You set the DHCP server to give its clients the server's address for DNS but the Netgear's IP address for the gateway. You will also need to set the DHCP server to forward to a public DNS service if you want it to be able to resolve foreign URLs for your clients.Bill
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
October 24th, 2010 9:16pm

Shouldn't be a problem. Basically your DHCP server must hand out static address of AD server as primary DNS server address so clients can find DC. Then put the ISP's DNS addresses in the forward lookup of your DNS server so clients can find internet. Also make sure your server has static IP address outside of DHCP scope. Regards, Dave Patrick .... Microsoft Certified Professional -Microsoft MVP [Windows]
October 24th, 2010 9:18pm

You might check the system event log on both ends for clues. Regards, Dave Patrick .... Microsoft Certified Professional -Microsoft MVP [Windows]
October 26th, 2010 3:26pm

It says: "The DHCP service is not servicing any clients because none of the active network interfaces have statically configured IP addresses, or there are no active interfaces." It has a manually configured IP and a reservation is setup in DHCP. ------------------- Reitzel Technology www.reitzeltechnology.com
October 26th, 2010 3:30pm

We got it to work. Turns out, WDS was listening on port than DHCP needed, so we disabled WDS and DHCP bound to the NIC and now everything has an address. Is there a way to make WDS work now? ------------------- Reitzel Technology www.reitzeltechnology.com
October 26th, 2010 3:43pm

Good to hear. I think this one covers it. Windows Deployment Services Getting Started Guide http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc771670(WS.10).aspx Regards, Dave Patrick .... Microsoft Certified Professional -Microsoft MVP [Windows]
October 26th, 2010 3:49pm

Yeah, I just had to check configure option 60 under WDS Console. Everything works now! :-)------------------- Reitzel Technology www.reitzeltechnology.com
October 26th, 2010 3:51pm

I disabled the DHCP on Netgear and set it up on the Server. The server has a manual ip set to 10.24.10.100 and the netgear router is 10.24.10.1 But for some reason, when I connect a computer to the switch on the NETGEAR, they wont get a DHCP address from the server.------------------- Reitzel Technology www.reitzeltechnology.com
October 26th, 2010 4:02pm

Good news. Regards, Dave Patrick .... Microsoft Certified Professional -Microsoft MVP [Windows]
October 26th, 2010 4:03pm

I'd work through here. http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc757164(WS.10).aspx Regards, Dave Patrick .... Microsoft Certified Professional -Microsoft MVP [Windows]
October 26th, 2010 4:52pm

I was trying to troubleshoot it with a MacBook (Running Snow Leopard) and not the PC since without DHCP, it wont boot. I will try again with the windows Machine. Everything is setup right and I tried just a generic switch and it still wouldn't work. I remember in the past, we got it to work, but then the internal systems couldn't get online since we had the gateway set to the Windows server. I didn't change the scope numbers when I turned off the netgear. (it was 10.24.10.100-10.24.10.255 on the netgear and it is 10.24.10.101 - 10.24.10.253 on the server, subnet is 255.255.255.0)------------------- Reitzel Technology www.reitzeltechnology.com
October 26th, 2010 4:56pm

Can't imagine why DHCP would keep it from booting? By "online" I'll assume you mean internet. You must put the ISP's DNS addresses in the forward lookup of your DNS server so clients can find internet. Regards, Dave Patrick .... Microsoft Certified Professional -Microsoft MVP [Windows]
October 26th, 2010 5:00pm

We already used DNS on the server, just not DHCP.------------------- Reitzel Technology www.reitzeltechnology.com
October 26th, 2010 5:02pm

We have tried everything and can't figure out how to get it to work. I guess we will have to use the NETGEAR DHCP forever. The server acts like it isn't listening and that the systems can't find the DHCP server. It just sits there trying to aquire an IP------------------- Reitzel Technology www.reitzeltechnology.com
October 26th, 2010 5:06pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics