Server '08 only Boots with DVD in Drive
I am currently running Server '08 Enterprise on: - Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe Motherboard - LSI 8708ELP SAS RAID Card (PCI Express) - AMD Opteron I have installed Server 2008 multiple times on this system trying to get it to work/boot. I loaded the RAID drivers during the OS installation and within the RAID BIOS settings I have set all the correct boot options. However, once the OS is installed it will no longer boot UNLESS the original install DVD is in the drive. If the DVD isn't in the drive it will post my BIOS, then the RAID BIOS, then after it goes to a blank screen and acts like there is no bootable media in. However, if the DVD is in the drive it will post the BIOS, then RAID BIOS, then it will show the "Press any key to boot from CD...". I ignore this and don't press anything, then the DVD drive activity light blinks for 1-2sec and then the OS will boot fine. It seems it may be something to do with the BCD boot settings or something, but I don't understand why because it is always a fresh install of the OS. Another thing I noticed by using this DVD to boot is that it will not keep my Screen Resolution settings. But other than that I can install Roles, Features, Programs and everything runs perfect. RAID card has been running beatifully so I'm not sure what the problem is. Please help me understand why it will only allow me to boot to Server '08 with the DVD in the drive and how can I elminate this?Thanks,Steve
August 10th, 2008 5:53pm

Hello, Have you checked the BIOS settings to see if you have set the Boot sequence to the proper HDD? We have seen some similar problems if there are multiple disks and if the Boot sequence is set to the HDD1, rather than the HDD0. Another cause might be that the system partition was not marked as Active. Open the Disk Management and see if any setting are not correct. Additionally, try to get a brand new setup media (not any OEM media), reformat the hard disk and then reinstall the operating system to see how it goes. Best regards,Chang Yin
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 13th, 2008 1:36pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics