Server2k8 & XP Network Shares - Nothing shows up in the 2k8
any idea why i can't see shares of xp on a server2k8 machine? i can type in the unc and get to the shares but no other machine will show up under the 2k8 "network" area. after the unc is typed in, i can map drives to the 2k8 machine, prnters, etc but still nothing shows up in the "network explorer" area on the 2k8 machine. this is will f/w off, full shares on, u/p on both machines being = etc. fwiw, i can see a win7 test machine i have running i even moved the 2k8 machine into the same workgroup as the others and nothing - nada please help
June 24th, 2009 4:49am

Hi bob4432,Could you please try turning on network discovery on the Windows Server 2008 machine to see if it helps?Control Panel -> Network and Sharing Center -> expand Network discovery under the section Sharing and Discovery -> Tun on network discovery -> when it prompts , please select "Yes, turn on network discovery for all public networks"Then,you may double-click "Network" icon on the desktop to see if you can see other machine in the same network.meanwhile, please also consider set "Computer Browser" run Start as Automatic.Services.msc -> Computer Brower -> Automatic -> click Start button.Hope it helps.This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 25th, 2009 2:32pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics