Server's Motherboard Died, have data and image backup
Hello, I wasn't sure where to post this because I couldn't find a Windows Server 2003 forum.We recently had our server's motherboard die on us. I'm not sure who built the server, but it has one IDE drive as the main drive. We managed to place that IDE drive into an older backup server to get it back up and running. This old server is very flakey though and we can't keep using it. We decided to buy a new server from dell. We don't need much, we use it as a domain controller, DNS, Active Directory, small website, and email (not exchange), so we bought an dual core AMD Dell server with 2 SAS Drives in a RAID 0.We have an image backup and data backups. We have tried restoring the image to the New server. We got it working, but we had, I think, an SID problem where users couldn't connect to the domain. It would give us the error message of: Windows cannot connect to the domain either because the domain controller is down or otherwise unavailable, or because your computer account was not found. Please try again later. If this message continues to appear contact your System Administrator for assistance.What we would really like to do is get the image working. If there are any specific methods to getting an image to work correctly, then that would be very helpful.
May 28th, 2008 6:33pm

Hello, Please run a DCDIAG on the server generate a report and let us know the Imaging software you have used because Microsoftdoesnt supports all the Imaging softwarebut Ican let you know knowsome like Veritas and Arcserve backup. But we will still help you out Thanks Syed
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 29th, 2008 9:10am

Hello, sorry for not replying earlier. We have successfully restored our image backup to our new server. We imaged the SAS hard drive, ran a windows 2003 repair, ran a system state backup on the old server, restored the system state backup on the new server by booting into the Directory Services Restore Mode, and booted into windows 2003. We had to reinstall a few drivers. We ran a DCDiag.exe and everything passed. Our users were able to log in without any errors.ThanksIT Tech
June 5th, 2008 10:17pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics