Separating my network?
Here is the situation: I manage one network under a MS 2008 domain. A group of workstations (running Linux) collects data and copies files to our internal FTP server so that customers can FTP into that server and grab the testing data. Our network runs a complete static IP schema so each of the LINUX machines have static IPs. Also, I do have a router on our DMZ that uses DHCP. I would like to separate these LINUX machines so that they can use the DMZ router (DHCP), but still be able to connect to the FTP site so that they technically arent on our primary network and to free up those IPs. Any suggestions?
September 15th, 2010 4:16pm

Need some more info. You Linux machines are in Public IP and you want them on Private IP(your internal company IP) range.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 17th, 2010 2:47am

The DHCP scope serviced by the router is on its own network segement? If its on the same segment as the rest of the Static configured machines, you will need to be able to custom configure the DHCP scope range to exclude the statics.Visit: anITKB.com, an IT Knowledge Base.
September 17th, 2010 4:21am

Hi decki, Thanks for post here. According your description, I assume the topology structure of your network is below: Router--------Firewall---------FTP server and Linux hosts If I misunderstand please let me know. Based on my knowledge ,what you want achieved is called “single-arm routing technology “. If you want the router where located in DMZ to provide DHCP service for internal hosts, then the first thing you have to do is set exception to allow DHCP packer pass through on the firewall. System service name: DHCPServer Application protocol Protocol Ports DHCP Server UDP 67 MADCAP UDP 2535 And if the IP segment you assign to Linux hosts is different from FTP server’s , then you should set two IP addresses on router interface that connect to firewall ,IP address that belong to the two IP segments. And modify default gateway option on DHCP to point to router. Thanks. Tiger LiPlease remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 17th, 2010 5:15am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics