Separate subscriptions for separate environemnts?

We want to set up Dev and QA (and later prod) Azure environments. Is there a URL detailing the pros and cons of using a single subscription for all environments? Or a URL describing "best practice" thinking for this matter? 

Here are some things that interest us:  we would like to know the monthly cost of each environment (is this breakdown available in a single subscription?)  Are there any technical limitations associated with a single subscription? (e.g. if a single subscription supported no more than 25 servers that  would be a show stopper for us). Will a single subscription simplify our Administrators daily lives? (we envision a mix of IaaS and PaaS servers). If we start with a single subscription (say for Dev) can we easily copy those VMs to a new subscription for QA? 

We really have no idea what the consequences of taking either approach are.

TIA,

edm2

• Edited by edm2 Saturday, August 29, 2015 3:44 PM
August 29th, 2015 3:43pm

We want to set up Dev and QA (and later prod) Azure environments. Is there a URL detailing the pros and cons of using a single subscription for all environments? Or a URL describing "best practice" thinking for this matter?

There is no official documentation about this scenario that I know of, but you can find some people writing about it in personal blogs. Personally, I think you should use whatever it fits best for your business but you must know the drawbacks of each case before choosing. I don't think there's a rule book for this. I am an Azure consultant, I work with medium-sized to multinational companies, and I rarely see then separating projects or departments into different subs. I would guess 7/10 don't have more than one sub and they seem to be fine with that. 

Here are some things that interest us:  we would like to know the monthly cost of each environment (is this breakdown available in a single subscription?)

Definitely separate subs will make your life easier on this matter since you can generate or organize azure cost reports by subscription. 

Are there any technical limitations associated with a single subscription? (e.g. if a single subscription supported no more than 25 servers that  would be a show stopper for us)

There are limitations for a single subscription and you can find the details in the link below but they are usually not a problem especially for Dev/QA scenarios not even for most production environments although you can always ask Microsoft to increase your limits. 

https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/articles/azure-subscription-service-limits/

Will a single subscription simplify our Administrators daily lives? (we envision a mix of IaaS and PaaS servers). If we start with a single subscription (say for Dev) can we easily copy those VMs to a new subscription for QA?

A single subscription is easier to manage from an infrastructure point of view but if you need granular permissions for different roles or departments in your company I wont recommended it. Copying VMs is not hard but it is not easy either, it is like using PowerShell to copy a large file, in this case, a .vhd file, and then you have to use this .vhd to create a VM on the destination subscription. You will not want to do it frequently but I know that Microsoft is already working in a way of migrating resources between subs in a practical way. Of course, there are third party tools that makes this job a lot easier but some PaaS services you cannot migrate, for example, recovery services or media services.

Tl;Dr;

Advantages of multi subs:

+ Can have admins for each sub giving control and visualization to resources they own only
+ Easier to separate costs per departments (subscriptions)
+ Harder to reach subscription service limits 

Drawbacks:

- Need VPN between subs for communication case of assets within a virtual network
- Harder to keep control and manage assets
- Takes time to migrate assets like Virtual Machines. Some you can't migrate except by exporting the data somehow.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 29th, 2015 6:10pm

There is no official documentation about this scenario that I know of, but you can find some people writing about it in personal blogs. Personally, I think you should use whatever it fits best for your business but you must know the drawbacks of each case before choosing. I don't think there's a rule book for this. I am an Azure consultant, I work with medium-sized to multinational companies, and I rarely see then separating projects or departments into different subs. I would guess 7/10 don't have more than one sub and they seem to be fine with that. 

Here are some things that interest us:  we would like to know the monthly cost of each environment (is this breakdown available in a single subscription?)

Definitely separate subs will make your life easier on this matter since you can generate or organize azure cost reports by subscription. 

Are there any technical limitations associated with a single subscription? (e.g. if a single subscription supported no more than 25 servers that  would be a show stopper for us)

There are limitations for a single subscription and you can find the details in the link below but they are usually not a problem especially for Dev/QA scenarios not even for most production environments although you can always ask Microsoft to increase your limits. 

https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/articles/azure-subscription-service-limits/

Will a single subscription simplify our Administrators daily lives? (we envision a mix of IaaS and PaaS servers). If we start with a single subscription (say for Dev) can we easily copy those VMs to a new subscription for QA?

A single subscription is easier to manage from an infrastructure point of view but if you need granular permissions for different roles or departments in your company I wont recommended it. Copying VMs is not hard but it is not easy either, it is like using PowerShell to copy a large file, in this case, a .vhd file, and then you have to use this .vhd to create a VM on the destination subscription. You will not want to do it frequently but I know that Microsoft is already working in a way of migrating resources between subs in a practical way. Of course, there are third party tools that makes this job a lot easier but some PaaS services you cannot migrate, for example, recovery services or media services.

Tl;Dr;

Advantages of multi subs:

+ Can have admins for each sub giving control and visualization to resources they own only
+ Easier to separate costs per departments (subscriptions)
+ Harder to reach subscription service limits 

Drawbacks:

- Need VPN between subs for communication case of assets within a virtual network
- Harder to keep control and manage assets
- Takes time to migrate assets like Virtual Machines. Some you can't migrate except by exporting the data somehow.

August 29th, 2015 6:10pm

Bruno,

What a fantastic clarifying answer!  I will be pondering it over the next few days. I plan to leave this question open to see if others have more thoughts on this matter but your answer is superb.

edm2

• Edited by edm2 Saturday, August 29, 2015 11:22 PM
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 29th, 2015 11:19pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics