Sending print jobs to a server across a WAN

We currently run a mixture of Server 2003 and Server 2008 R2 print servers in our corporate core and numerous branch offices, with a few of those Server 2003 boxen running Host Integration Server 2006 for the SNA print gateway function. All of the SNA Print Gateways operate in the corporate core near the mainframes. (I'm now working to get everything up to Server 2008 R2 with H.I.S. 2010 where it's needed)

Last year, I noticed that the SNA servers were trying to print directly to printers in the branch offices. When these printers went offline, the SNA gateway would retry the print job repeatedly over the WAN. Our WAN bandwidth is precious, so I changed the configuration so that the SNA Print Gateway servers would send their print jobs via a LPR port to the local print server closest (in network hops) to the printer.

I've just read in the Server 2012 Print and Document Services Overview that LPR/LPD is to be deprecated in future OS versions. I see that Server 2012 has something called Branch Office Direct Printing, but this is not what I need (most of our print data originates in the corporate core mainframe, not the branch office).

I need to know what is the recommended practice for forwarding print jobs from one server to another. I have hundreds of print queues that will need to be modified to comply with this recommendation. Also, is there a way to script this conversion in PowerShell v3 on my Server 2008 R2 hosts?

July 9th, 2013 9:05pm

just curious why need to send the print queue over the wan?

so you mean the hard copy will be printed on the other side?

Terminal Services Printing would not be applicable to your scenario?

check out this link: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc753853(v=ws.10).aspx

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 12th, 2013 5:01am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics