Selecting the right version
I am about to purchase a copy of Windows server 2008 Ent edition. At present my existing hardware is with 32 bit processor. Can i purchase 64 bit version and install on it? Because I may go for 64 bit operating system in near future. Please suggest the right product to choose.Regd,Sandip
July 4th, 2008 4:22pm

A Windows Servercopy consists of a media set and a product key. The product keyAWindows Server 2008 Product Key is architecture independent, which means you can install both the 32bit version and the 64bit version of Windows Server 2008 Enterprise with a Windows Server 2008 Enterprise Product Key. The media setThe media set is either 32bit, 64bit or contains both. (the latter are rare) Depending on the media set you can install a 32bit version or a 64bit version of Windows Server on your machine. You cannot install the 64bit version of Windows on a machine that doesn't support 64bit. Note:Depending on your processor you may or may not be able to install a 64bit version of Windows.Recent Intel and AMD processors can handle 64bit versions of Windows, but older processors may not. If you want to be able to move to a 64bit version of Windows Server 2008 try to get your hands on either a 32bit/64bit combined mediaset or both the 32bit and 64bit mediaset with your new Product Key. You could also purchase a 32bit mediakit with your product key now and decide whether to purchase the 64bit mediakit later. Mediakits roughly cost the equivalent of $40.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 4th, 2008 4:52pm

Thank for clearing my doubts.
July 7th, 2008 9:54am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics