Selecting server based on application requirements
Hello. We are due to onboard a new application soon for testing, it has 3 components - Component1, Component 2 and Component 3 that need to be on different servers. We have been working with the vendor and they suggest: Component 1: Low Disk I/O, low CPU usage, needs about 16GB RAM. Can be virtualised Component 2: Medium Disk I/O, low CPU usage, needs about 16 GB RAM. Component 3: High Disk I/O, high amount of storage needed, medium CPU usage. (I appreciate this is quite vague for the moment, but we are in very early stages). I was curious - how do people decide what sort of server they need? We are an HP shop really, so would like to standardise on that, but how do you decide whether to go for: i. Full server v blade ii. If a full server, there are so many different types (DL, ML etc) iii. Which model of the above Or should the vendor be telling us this sort of thing? And how about deciding on RAID etc?
August 15th, 2012 7:00pm

Hi, Could you please tell us, what application are you going to implement.?Regards, Ravikumar P
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 15th, 2012 9:30pm

It's a bespoke application we'll be using. Do you know the answers to my questions?
August 16th, 2012 5:46pm

Having been part of raising a whole environment from nothing a few times already, I can tell you that a good place to start is by creating your Business Service Requirements (BSR) and Service Level Agreement (SLA) documentation based on your customer agreed needs (even if the customer is internal). These documents should ask a number of questions related to capacity, management, interfacing, extensibility, availability, uptime, etc., examples for which you should be able to find with some quick searching. Going from there, you next want to look at the application's technical requirements and create your application server architecture documentation. In general, you should expect the vendor to provide guidance on this so you can create a Technical Assurance Agreement that binds them to supporting the elements outlined in your BSR and SLA. By obtaining this agreement you can feel confident that the vendor is able to provide what they say and that you aren't on the hook for more funding if your servers aren't up to spec.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 16th, 2012 8:32pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics