Seeking suggestions / solutions for SBS situation
I have a pretty good idea on what path to take, but I would like to see how other professionals would handle this situation. The objective is to increase remote user’s performance and plan for future growth. The problem is the site to site VPN for a remote office isn’t sufficient. My overall plan is to use Remote Desktop. Below is the environment and some solutions I came up with. SBS Server 2003 · Power Edge 1900 · 1 Quad Core Xeon E5310 @ 1.60 GHz · 6 GB Ram · 1 Perc 5i with a 250 GB RAID 1 Volume · 1 Adaptec 2045 with 200 GB RAID 10 Volume · 20 SBS Cals · 5 Terminal Server cals Services · Exchange 2003 · File and Print · Business apps o Access Database o BestCase o PM TABS · VPN Scenario · Jacksonville location o Cable internet o VOIP o Server o 18 employees · Dayton location o Cable internet o POTS o 2 employees, planning to expand We purchased 5 TS cals and some hardware upgrades because my plan was to enable Application mode for the Remote Users. Unfortunately, I forgot this isn’t possible on the SBS Server. So I am looking for suggestion. Solution A Purchase Windows 2003 Standard, the remaining CPU, and upgrade to 8 GB of RAM. Then using ESXi, create two virtual servers, one SBS Server and one Terminal Server. Sell the remaining hardware. Windows Server 2003 600 Processor Xeon E5310 300 RAM 2GB kit (1GBx2), 240-pin DIMM, DDR2 PC2-5300 memory module 400 1300 · Advantages o Lower cost o Low bandwidth requirement o Expandability via VPN\RDP o Centralized o One Physical Server · Disadvantages o Internet dependant o Remote Desktop o Legacy software Solution B Purchase SBS 2008, the remaining CPU, and upgrade to 8 GB of RAM. Then using ESXi, create two virtual servers, one SBS Server and one Terminal Server. Sell the remaining hardware and software. Windows Server 2008 with cals 3500 Processor Xeon E5310 300 RAM 2GB kit (1GBx2), 240-pin DIMM, DDR2 PC2-5300 memory module 400 4200 · Advantages o Low bandwidth requirement o Expandability via VPN\RDP o Centralized o One Physical Server · Disadvantages o Higher cost o Internet dependant o Remote Desktop Solution C Purchase a small Windows Server with enough storage to setup DFS to replicate data between Jacksonville and Daytona. Server with 2003 and 600 GB storage 3000 · Advantages o Moderate cost · Disadvantages o High bandwidth requirement o Legacy software o Two physical servers o Decentralized o Limited expandability Thanks in advance for any input, Raymond
April 19th, 2010 6:42am

Hi Raymond, There is a dedicated forum to answer SBS related question, please do navigate to the below link and post your query in SBS forum www.sbs2008.com
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 19th, 2010 6:57am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics